Send "global" hotkey to Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ParallelsU227, May 15, 2019.

1. ParallelsU227

ParallelsU227 Bit poster

I'm running a Windows music player via a Parallels. It works great, but I'm missing the way you would normally interact with it if ran natively, were different hotkeys are assigned functions such as "pause", "play", "next track", and so on. The music player (foobar2000) supports custom hotkeys, and Parallels support converting those to a MacOS syntax, so I can have "⌘+P" > "Ctrl+P" > "pause". The music indeed pauses if I do that when the player is on focus, but I'm missing is a way for this hotkey to work without having to bring up the window.

I'm looking for a method that sends "⌘+P" to Parallels "globally", when without focus, so that while writing this on Safari I could to press "⌘+P" to pause the music (for example). If there is a way to interact with Parallels via terminal, then I could create an Automator script to do this. Is there something I could write on the terminal that would send a hotkey to Parallels?

2. ParallelsU227

ParallelsU227 Bit poster

I will do as suggested after I attempt to tackle it via an applescript, thanks.