share files between two VMs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DLAnderson, Nov 28, 2017.

1. DLAnderson

DLAnderson Bit poster

Parallels 13.1.1 on Mac 10.11.6(El Capitan). I have two VMs: Win7 and WinXP. How do I share folders between the two VMs?

2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello DLAnderson, kindly make the folders native location on your Mac Desktop and if the sharing is enabled the virtual machines will be able to access it ie Windows 10 and Windows XP and see if this helps. Thanks!

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

"Sorry, I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that I shouldn't keep my Win7 files on the Win7 C: drive? That all data files used by the VMs should reside on the host?"
    Hi @DLAnderson, you can keep your files in Windows 7 virtual machine. However, it cannot be shared with Windows XP virtual machine. But, Shared Folders Tool enables you to share Mac folders with the virtual machine and vice versa. With this tool, you can access your Mac folders from the virtual machine and virtual machine folders from Mac OS X. So, if a file can be shared on both virtual machine if it is located on Mac side with the Sharing feature enabled.