Shared folders from Mac OSX host OS to Ubuntu (guest OS) UID and GID mapping

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by KevinStallard, Sep 30, 2017.

1. KevinStallard

KevinStallard Bit poster

Hello,
    It appears that the user ids and group ids of folders on the Mac (host) side are being translated to different uid/gids on the Ubuntu (guest os) side.
    For example, a file from the Mac side shows:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 1001 1001 1716 Jul 8 2016 specs.virtualincision.net.csr

The same file from the Ubuntu guest os shows:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 65534 65534 1716 Jul 8 2016 specs.virtualincision.net.csr

How can i get Parallels to be truthful about the real user id and group ids of these files?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. KevinStallard

KevinStallard Bit poster

In addition, is there a way to give root access to the host from the guest OS.

The reason I am asking these crazy questions is that I need to do a backup of the Mac OS host data and the only way is to share it because the backup agent won't run on the Mac.

I am running the agent on the Linux guest OS, and I need this agent to be able to read and back up data on some of the host's drives.

Any ideas or thoughts on figuring this out is appreciated.

Thank you
    Kevin

3. - your permissions look good ... read+write for owner and group. You have read for all others. I assume you don't need to write from Parallels (altho that seems to work on my system). I am not sure what Parallels does with extended attributes (on Mac do a 'ls -@' command to see if there are any).

4. Another thought --- try 'man mount.prl_fs' ... its got some good info on what is really happening at mount time for a Parallels volume