Shared network cannot connect to internet (OS agnostic)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cl.tech, May 9, 2023.

1. cl.tech

cl.tech Bit poster

Issue: my guest OS fails to connect to the internet using the recommended Shared Network setting.

Details: Setup is a new M1 Laptop with Parallels 18 installed as the host. The guest Operating Systems attempted have been Windows 11, Ubuntu, Pop OS, and Arch Linux; Windows 11 and Ubuntu were downloaded via the direct install from Parallels. Multiple reinstalls have been attempted for Parallels and each OS. All troubleshooting steps within Knowledge Base article 8978, URL: https://kb.parallels.com/en/8978 have been attempted at least once. Specifically when following 8978, step 6:

-----
    Step 6: Open Command Prompt in Windows by clicking on Start menu and typing in cmd, then hit Enter. Try pinging any Parallels server by entering the following command: ping parallels.com

Input: C: \Users\username›ping parallels
    Output: Ping request could not find host parallels. Please check the name and try again.
    -----
    The only step that succeeds in solving the problem is step 5:
    Step 5: Go to the virtual machine's configuration > Hardware > Network > Source > Shared Network (Recommended) option should be set by default. If you have already got a Shared network set but still experience network issues in Windows switch it to Bridged Network: Default Adapter and verify if the internet is working in any of these modes.

Input: Manual adjustment via GUI to set network to bridged mode.
    Output: Networking is initiated/restored.
    Notes: One the setting is reverted to Shared Network, networking fails (i.e. - ping in step 6 fails)

-----
    I understand that the step 5 bridge network workaround functions; however, I would like the option to use the recommended shared network settings. What other troubleshooting steps do I need to complete? With a new laptop, new parallels setup, and newly downloaded OS, why is this so challenging to get functional? Thank you.

2. cl.tech

cl.tech Bit poster

Please note that above, I mistyped the ping command in my initial post. When troubleshooting, I did ping parallels.com and received the same failure reply. I also tried multiple other URLs.

3. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

Same here, both virtual installation (Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.10) suddenly stop working with Shared Network setting. Only get a lokal address. Also follow the instructions cl.tech was following with no success . Both systems seems to work sometimes after restart for a few seconds. Bridge Networks works fine. I use Parallels 18.2.0 (53488).

4. cl.tech

cl.tech Bit poster

@LeifJ, did you try any additional troubleshooting steps? Did they yield anything different? Have you tried to get a hold of support, and if so, how?

5. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

@cl.tech not all of them, because most steps are Windows related and I have the same issue on Ubuntu. No, no clue how to reach the support (no twitter, no Facebook accounts) didn't find any ticketing system. Forgot to mention that I'm running on a M1 MacBookPro.

6. cl.tech

cl.tech Bit poster

@LeifJ, so if you and I cannot figure this out, there is no one else to join this thread to help us, and we cannot find the URL to submit a trouble ticket, I'm almost out of ideas. I paid money for this product, so there should be some minimal level of support available (that is typically how it works). Do I need to find a mod and ask them? I found a page with them listed, but don't want to do something to get me banned, since this forum appears to be the only lifeline I have. Thoughts?

7. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

@cl.tech for the next two week I'm not able to follow up, because I'm on vacation. So I I will not come back before then end of the month. Sorry, that I can't investigate more time in the moment.

8. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

hi @cl.tech,
    just to check. Seems for me to work again after an update of Parallels and of the Parallels Tools on both OS when coming back from vacation. Does it work on your side as well?

9. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello,

To aid us in troubleshooting this issue, kindly perform the following actions:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop.
    2. Start your virtual machine
    3. Reproduce the issue
    4. Collect a technical report while the virtual machine is running (click the Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send us the generated 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

10. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

Hi Adebye Adeotan,
    as I wrote before, after the last update it works again. I was able to switch back to the shared network. So I can't sent you any valuable information anymore. I still wonder why only cl.tech and I had that Problem, but at least for the moment it seems to be fixed. Never the less, the other problem still exist, why there Parallels has no ticketing system (anymore?). cl.tech make this entry 20 days ago and now (when I wrote on my side it's fixed) you came in and offer help. This is a long time and if there was a more serious issue (for me I could switch to the not recommend bridge mode, so I had network access), it would be too long.
    Thanks Leif
    P.S.: don#t close this threat before we know if cl.tech has still this issue. and PPS. Sorry for my English, but I'm not a native speaker...

11. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Please note that Parallels Support still provide technical support via ticketing.

In order to obtain phone/chat support, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Sign in to your Parallels account using the link: https://my.myparallels.com/login
    Make sure your Parallels Desktop license is registered.
    2. Go to the Support page. ( https://my.parallels.com/support/ )
    3. Select your product and the category of your question.
    Enter a short issue description or key words into the search box.
    4. If you don't find the solution you are looking for, click "Request Support" and proceed to the Support contact options.
    Note: Parallels Desktop support is only provided in English.
    Thank you

12. cl.tech

cl.tech Bit poster

@LeifJ, I am still having the issue, but have been in contact with tech support. We are going through troubleshooting steps, but have not found a solution yet despite any application updates.

13. MohdF1

MohdF1 Bit poster

you are post is excellent

14. DavinaM

DavinaM Junior Member

Thanks for sharing...