shared networking is disabled

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jpaulus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

Any more thoughts on this?

thanks

2. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

Serv,

Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

jpaulus,

Lets see what really happens in you VM... You'll need a network sniffer. Ethereal is free:
    http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/ethereal-setup-0.99.0.exe
    Download it to your Mac, copy to XP via shared folder and install. Run Ethereal in XP, open Capture -> Interfaces, click Capture button for Parallels Network Adapter.
    Now, open XP console and 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew'. Give 'ipconfig /renew' some time and stop capture. Save capture dump and mail it to support at parallels dot com.

4. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

5. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

I have sent the captured information as you'd suggested.

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

jpaulus,

Thanks, I've picked up the dump. There's some weirdness in it:
    - VM seem to have an IP of 10.211.55.3 initially which is just fine when Shared mode works, but as you say it doesn't
    - There are no DHCP requests from the VM at all. If your XP is configured to use DHCP then DHCP discovery must take place after 'ipconfig /renew'
    - At some point the VM decides to autoconfigure its IP to 169.254.*. This is weird given there were no DHCP discovery.
    Are you sure you did 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' while capture was running?

From the dump I'd say something is wrong with XP setup. Have you installed some third party network software besides Ethereal?

7. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

Serv,

My XP is definitely set up with DHCP and I ran the commands as instructed. This XP setup had worked through Parallels before the upgrades. And I've not installed any other network software.

What now? Another upgrade of parallels? Do I give up on Parallels?

Thanks.

8. jpaulus

jpaulus Member

Serv,

I am anxiously awaiting another thing to attempt. So far my parallels experience has been pretty bad and I'm sure there is some small thing that can be done to turn this around.

Thanks.