Siemens TiaPortal on Parallels with Mac M2 Max/Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RobinE1, Feb 13, 2023.

1. RobinE1

RobinE1 Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    I am currently doing technical training and need a powerful computer for this. I'm completely done with Windows and would like to buy the new MacBook Pro M2 Max (2023). For my further education I need some programs, which unfortunately are only available for Windows (SolidWorks/ TIAPortal,...) I don't worry about SolidWorks. Is anyone aware that the Siemens TIAPortal program runs on an M2 Max with Parallels? Thank you in advance for the info! Best regards!

2. PaulM71

PaulM71 Bit poster

This is really weird. That's exactly what I'm trying right now. I have the new M2 Max MacBook Pro. I tried TIA Portal V18 and ran into a few issues and have hit a roadblock.
    Firstly, if you have ever installed TIA Portal on Windows you will know that first you need to install the optional .Net v3.5 package. This is not installed by Windows by default.
    During the installation of TIA Portal I encountered an error. Although the installation completed, the installation summary reported that it was "unable to modify some system settings". I ignored this because otherwise the application seemed to install OK.
    The first thing I always do with a fresh installation is run TIA Administrator V2 to update TIA Portal. This didn't let me log in. But the resolution was easy. Go into Windows settings and create a password for your Windows account (Parallels doesn't set a password by default and for whatever reason the TIA Administrator website won't accept a blank password).
    So after all this I was able to run TIA Portal and open my project, but as soon as I go to the project view it crashes and I cannot get past this. It is repeatable and I have no solution as of yet but have created a support ticket. The crash log talks about OpenSSL but I'm not an IT expert, see attached.
    So at least for me, no I am not able to run TIA Portal using Parallels App Store Edition v1.8.1 and Windows 11 Pro (Arm) on my M2 Max MacBook Pro at this point in time. This is a shame because I was otherwise fairly impressed by the initial performance I was seeing.
    I will reply to this message if Parallels support is able to provide a workaround.
    Paul

3. PaulM71

PaulM71 Bit poster

I forgot to add the attachment. I should add that I am currently trialling Parallels and if they can't manage to resolve this issue with TIA Portal I won't proceed with my subscription.

Attached Files:

4. PaulM71

PaulM71 Bit poster

For whatever reason my replies have not been released to the forum. Anyway just to close out the issue, Parallels did not offer any solution and instead pointed me towards the application developer (Siemens). This obviously is not a solution because the first thing Siemens will say is don't run the software inside a VM. The onus really is on the VM solution provider when applications don't work as they should inside the VM. This obviously isn't an acceptable answer so I will abandon my trial and cancel my subscription.

5. RobinE1

RobinE1 Bit poster

Hey Paul, first of all, thank you very much for your detailed answers. For me, this means that compatibility between Parallels, M2 Pro/ Ultra and Tia Portal is not possible and will never be possible?

6. YangZ5

YangZ5 Bit poster

I have Tia Portal V15.1 running on my MacBook Pro, it runs ok except the ISO network interface does not work so I could not assign IP address to a brand new PLC. Apart from that, all the other function works perfectly. But when I tried to run Tia Portal V17 and V18, I have both installed ok but Tia Portal crashes as soon as I switch to 'Project View'. I have not found a solution yet.