slow respond when pressing alt+tab, after upgrade to v.11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JacobL1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JacobL1

JacobL1 Bit poster

After I have upgraded to parallels 11, my alt+tab application switching is not working properly anymore.
    I am able to switch between apps if it press the buttons slowly, kind of letting the key press be processed. I have to SEE the window with all my application before the app switching works.

Normally, if I switch between two apps frequently i will press the two keys quickly, but after upgrading to parallels 11, this does not work anymore. If I press too quickly the current window will just be selected again, not switching to a new window.

What to do?

2. donker

donker Bit poster

Same here. I am really struggling now as the timing is just off. What is happening?

3. ChrisL2

ChrisL2 Bit poster

I have the same problem. It's super annoying. I'm considering downgrading.

4. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Alt tab in windows vm or cmd tab in osx?

Hmm not having that issue; running a few win 10 machines and have my CMD/ALT keys swapped.

Either way, try select optimize for games in configure => hardware => mouse & keyboard. Restart VM.

5. ChrisL2

ChrisL2 Bit poster

> select optimize for games in configure => hardware => mouse & keyboard. Restart VM.
    @AlekseyM This fixed it for me! Thanks.

6. SergioB1

SergioB1 Bit poster

Hello, thanks for the suggestion, it's very useful but we still have some problems. We have installed Parallels 11, (working with Windows 7, 64-bit) and we got the same problem of the discussion. We "optimize for games" and now it goes better. Better, but not perfect as with Parallels 10. We switch a lot and very quickly between different windows, for working, and ALT+TAB is one of the most important shortcut we need. Every 7-8 times that ALT+TAB works right, one is lost. We think it's not a problem of the system, because after the upgrade to Parallel 11 the VM is even much faster than with Parallel 10. Are there any other optimization we must set? Have we to wait a next upgrade? Thanks to all.

7. GabrielP2

GabrielP2 Bit poster

Same here! I use ALT+TAB at least 10 times per minute, imagine how much time I'm loosing because of this issue.

I set F3 as a shortcut for ALT+TAB and it works, blazing fast, but this "system" only works for one level. If you need to switch between more than two windows, you're still very very very angry.

Parallels Team is always on top of their game. I'm sure they are aware of this issue and a fix it's on the way.

8. SammyM

SammyM Bit poster

Same problem here with my Win7-64. Alt tab is kind of a necessity, how can this bug be present since August? Also, has anyone from Parallels even confirmed this as a bug? Going to have to go back to 10 if this isn't at least addressed. Wish I just stayed at 10 to start with.

9. SammyM

SammyM Bit poster

tried everything i could. no mixing of disable shortcuts and optimizing worked for me. downgraded to parallels 10 and everything is good again. Hopefully this gets fixed in an update as I need to work in more OSes than just Win10.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear Sammy, Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, to investigate further on this issue.

11. GabrielP2

GabrielP2 Bit poster

Paul, can you give us any report on how long will take for this issue to be fixed? I had to get back to PD9 only because of this inconsistence with the Alt+Tab shortcut (which I use up to 50 time per minute).

AlexH2 likes this.
  12. AlexH2

AlexH2 Bit poster

I'm also having this issue. Just upgraded from ||10 to ||11. Running Windows 7. Alt+tab on the Windows side doesn't work unless I do it slowly.

13. GabrielP2

GabrielP2 Bit poster

I had to move back to version 9. Without a quick alt+tab, Windows have no use for me.

I never had a problem with Parallels that wasn't already solved by a KB, I hope they fix this one quickly.

14. SammyM

SammyM Bit poster

Anyone know if this is fixed yet?

Nephtali likes this.
  15. Nephtali

Nephtali Bit poster

Same issue here... I was working just fine today but suddenly I can't ALT+TAB any longer in my Win10 Parallels virtual machine... I wonder if I accidentally pressed a shortcut that disables this either in windows or directly in parallels... any help here is appreciated.
    Regards!

16. Nephtali

Nephtali Bit poster

Just in case someone needs this... I think my problem was that I pressed ALT + Up (arrow up) once and that makes the keyboard act different. Try pressing it once and Alt + Tab is now back to normal...
    hopefully, this will help someone else.

17. HKurka

HKurka Bit poster

Same problem for me :-(