small, tiny task bar-unmanageable

Lise-MarieL

Bit poster
Hi,
Having just installed windows 7 virtual machine on my Macbook pro, I find that the softwares that I install on Windows 7 end up having tiny, I mean tiny tiny menu and task bars. Generally all icons are so tiny that I can't read them.
I'm talking about two softwares: above audition and microsoft word. As they are the only ones I've installed do far, it seems it always does that.
Anyone had the same problem, and how to solve it?
 
You'll need to adjust the resolution in Windows to control the size of the items being displayed. Right mouse click on the Windows desktop and choose Screen Resolution. I like 1009x508 but your milage may vary.

Rick.
 
I had the same problem when I went from OS 10.7 on a 2010 MBP to 10.9.1 Mavericks on a Late 2013 MBP but I am running Windows XP. I reinstalled Parallels Tools as shown above but that did not solve the problem. The knowledge base article says:

"Note: The Resolution settings shown on the picture apply to Windows 7 and Windows 8 Virtual Machines. Resolution options are different for Windows XP and Windows Vista Virtual Machines."

How do I fix the resolution options if I am running XP? Or do I have to upgrade to Windows 8? Or should it be 7 or Vista? (I know XP is old, but if it ain't broke...)
 
Last edited:
Found the answer in another thread, simple solution!

from http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...-Retina-Display-Behaviour&p=718436#post718436

I had the tiny icon and text problem running Windows in the VM, and tech support was unable to resolve it. I fooled around a bit on my own and came up with an easy fix that works for me. It may sound counter-intuitive, but it gives me the result I need.

1. Turn off your virtual machine and exit Parallels if it is open.
2. Start Paralells.
3. From the menu bar at the top of the screen, select Virtual Machine>Configure.
4. Select Video from the column on the left.
5. Uncheck Enable Retina resolution.
6. Open your virtual machine.
7. Start Windows then open Control Panel and select Display.
8. Select the Settings tab and set the resolution. (1820x1088 works well for me)

YMMV - Good luck. I am running Mavericks 10.9.1 on a new late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. Hopefully this will work for others with different configurations.

John

One extra bit, when you go to Configure you need to select "Hardware" on top to get to "Video", at least with XP.
 
Back
Top