So how much RAM & how many CPUs?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Carillon, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

My Ubuntu 12.04 install has been running okay with 1 CPU and 1024MB of RAM. Was curious if doubling each would have any affect, positive or negative. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can try it yourself, can't you? If your physical machine would have an infinite amount of RAM and an infinite amount of CPUs increasing the amount given to the VM would only make it run better. But you don't have an infinite amount of neither, so what's important here is how much you have left if you double, because the amount you have left has to run OSX, the host, and if the host gets sluggish so does the guest OS.

3. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

Of course I can try it myself and that's what I have done. I was actually hoping someone had an opinion to share from past experience. Thanks

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Like I implied it's related to how much you have overall, if you have 4 GB RAM, and increase the VM to 2 GB it will likely make the whole computer run slow, as 2 GB for OS X will likely make it page, but if you have 8 GB you'll see an improvement. Depends also on what other things you are running on both sides.

Because you didn't actually specified any of these things my only possible answer is to talk about the generalities of it and suggest you try it yourself. Not trying to be rude, just pragmatic.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  5. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

Sure I understand that and should have stated that I have 8GB of RAM with a 2.5ghz i5 processor.

6. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

How much RAM and processor need in per Virtual Machine it depend on which service or software tools you are running in your virtual machine. You have to just find out the max use with best performance. text-smiley.png