[SOLVED] Install Parallels Tools after unattended install of Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WannesS, May 30, 2017.

1. WannesS

WannesS Bit poster

Hi,
    I want to deploy a freshly installed VM automatically without intervention. I'm doing that with a prepared Windows 10 Pro ISO file that has an unattended configuration. It works and runs all the way to a logged in standard user account to the desktop. The only problem I have now is that Parallels Tools is not installed at the end of the Windows Setup. I have tried "Express Install" in the GUI but that keeps spinning endlessly and I didn't find the TUI counterpart (prlctl something).

I was thinking, is there a separate "msi" installer I can run at the end of the Windows setup which accomplishes the same as "Install Parallels Tools"?
    Code:
    SUDOUSER=`users | cut -f1 -d " "`
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl create  WindowsTest --distribution win-10
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --device-del cdrom0
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --device-add cdrom --image /localdata/Windows10-20170530.iso
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --device-bootorder "cdrom0 hdd0"
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --efi-boot on
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --cpus 1 --memsize 4096 --videosize 512 --autostart auto

sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl start WindowsTest
    sudo -u $SUDOUSER /usr/local/bin/prlctl set WindowsTest --device-connect cdrom0

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. WannesS

WannesS Bit poster

3. WannesS

WannesS Bit poster

Yes the article http://kb.parallels.com/eu/112609 actually helped in this one. Go to Scenario 3: most complicated.

I copied the contents of prl-tools-win.dmg to the root of the WIM install image of Windows10Pro so that it ended up in C:\prl-tools-win\ and made a batch file that executes the Autorun.exe post-install (With NTlite):
    Code:
    start /d "C:\prl-tools-win\" Autorun.exe

The end result is a Windows.iso file that once launched boots to a logged in user account, starts to install parallels tools and runs some PowerShell script located under \\Mac\home\Documents\Parallels\.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @WannesS. Good to know you were able to resolve what you were trying. Please get back to us for any further queries.

5. KenK8

KenK8 Bit poster

Hello @WannesS. I'm also having a similar problem (Installation Assistant still spinning) and I'm trying to use your steps on NTLite but kinda stuck - I'm a bit of a n00b on this subject sorry.
    I have put parallel tools contents in a folder placed it inside my win10 image folder
    • What command and parameters did you put on NTlite post-setup?
    • What's the PowerShell script in \\Mac\home\Documents\Parallels\ for?