SOLVED: Parallels 11 Tools installation fails at 74% in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by oztrev, Aug 31, 2015.

1. oztrev

oztrev Member

Upgraded to P11 from P10. Windows 2000 was working fine in P10.

Start Windows 2000 VM and choose Install Parallels Tools from the yellow triangle. After Tools fails at 74% in Windows 2000, the VM is pretty much hosed.

Returning to a snapshot repeats the process, except this time it tries to auto-install Tools and hiccups with "Failed to install driver prl_fs". It then attempts to "rollback" and fails, again leaving a VM which is pretty much hosed.

2. oztrev

oztrev Member

No help then?

3. Hi, we've already escalated this issue to our Development team and they are currently working on the resolution.
    You can check the new about this issue using this KB article.

4. ReneG1

ReneG1 Bit poster

Hi all, i tried to convert my old windows 2000 VM, but have the same issue with parallels 10, exactly on the same precent.
    Thanks,
    R...

5. oztrev

oztrev Member

It's been nearly 2 months since (August 12) this was first reported and still no resolution.

6. MichaelW9

MichaelW9 Bit poster

Windows 2000 original conversion to Parallels 10 was fine. Parallels was updated to 10.3.0 (29227) and now the install of Parallels Tools has trashed my Windows 2000 vm. The vm is useless now. Is there a way to downgrade to version 10.2.1 (29006)?

7. Please use this link, download the previous build and check the issue.

8. MichaelW9

MichaelW9 Bit poster

That doesn't work. Unfortunately the upgrade to Parallels Tools 10.3 corrupted the Windows 2000 vm such and I have no mouse or keyboard in the Windows 2000 virtual machine. That is the case even when downgrading to 10.2.

9. MichaelW9

MichaelW9 Bit poster

I had a version of Parallels 7 on another Macintosh. Loading the Windows 2000 vm on that Macintosh reset the vm to a functional state. I was then able to copy back to my primary Macintosh. The Windows 2000 vm works under 10.2 but I can't use coherence since the mouse synchronization service fails to start. I will work on it more tonight, but I need to confess that I will be looking at VMWare or Virtualbox before I perform another upgrade to Parallels.

10. MichaelW9

MichaelW9 Bit poster

Was able to resolve the mouse issue by manually selecting "Parallels Mouse Synchronization Device" in Device Manager for the mouse. All seems to be working correctly now but I know not to upgrade to 10.3 or 11.

11. oztrev

oztrev Member

Article ID: 123316
    Created On: Aug 12, 2015
    Last Review: Aug 29, 2015

It's now October 19 and no updates. Windows 2000 VMs are still unusable. Every time it starts the Tools upgrade fails and corrupts the VM.

ReneG1 likes this.
  12. ReneG1

ReneG1 Bit poster

Nothing yet? I have the same issue...
    What happens with my other windows when i downgrades parallels? I'm bit afraid...
    R...

13. oztrev

oztrev Member

> What happens with my other windows when i downgrades parallels? I'm bit afraid...
    Make backups of your VMs then you need not be afraid. But be very afraid if you don't first make backups :)
    It would, of course, be better if Parallels actually solved the issue... 3 months and counting since they first acknowledged the issue.

14. oztrev

oztrev Member

For months now, this claim for Parallels has been untrue:
    "32-bit Guest Operating Systems

• Windows 10
    • Windows 2000 Professional SP4"
    Worse, Parallels corrupts Windows 2000 VMs beyond redemption. Is this ever going to be fixed?

15. oztrev

oztrev Member

As Parallels have been no help with this issue now for the 5 months that they have known about it, I have done by own debugging and discovered that the cause of this problem is the expiry of the Globalsign Root Certificate in Windows 2000 on January 28, 2014. This took me all of 5 minutes with my friend Google, so obviously Parallels developers do not care or they surely should have been able to resolve this issue months ago themselves.

To fix the issue, assuming you still have a non-corrupted Windows 2000 VM available (luckily I had a snapshot as the PT installation would corrupt the file system when it failed or attempted to roll itself back), make sure that Parallels Tools does not start installing, then simply follow the instructions at:
    https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1434478

After which, I deleted the expired Globalsign Root certificate and forced a manual install of Parallels Tools which finished successfully! This is being posted from my Windows 2000 VM, no thanks to Parallels IP Holdings.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. ReneG1

ReneG1 Bit poster

Thank you Oztrev! You're the best!
    And also thanks for Parallels.... For nothing.

17. oztrev

oztrev Member

18. oztrev

oztrev Member

You posted this at the beginning of September last year (2015) and that KB article has not been updated since August last year, and this despite the fact that I managed to solve the issue without any help from Parallels, posted the solution in this thread in November last year (2015) and PM'd you and other Parallels forum representatives with the solution. What is happening with Parallels IP Holdings?

19. oztrev

oztrev Member

Here's the full recipe in case it disappears from the original site.

Manual Fix for Windows 2000, XP, XP Embedded

1. Download the GlobalSign Root-R1 certificate to an accessible location:
      http://secure.globalsign.net/cacert/Root-R1.crt
    2. Click Start > Run
      [​IMG]
    3. Type MMC and press OK
      [​IMG]
    4. Click on File > Add / Remove Snap-In
      [​IMG]
      Note: In Windows 2000 click Console instead of File.
    5. Click Add
      [​IMG]
    6. Under Snap-in, double click on Certificates
      [​IMG]
    7. Click Computer Account > Next
      [​IMG]
    8. > Local Computer > Finish
      [​IMG]
    9. Click Close.
    10. Click OK to exit the snap-in window.
      [​IMG]
    11. Click [+] next to Certificates > Trusted Root Certification Authorities > Certificates
    12. Right click on Certificates and select All Tasks > Import
      [​IMG]
    13. Click Next
      [​IMG]
    14. Click Browse
      [​IMG]
    15. Select Root-R1.crt downloaded in step 1.
      Press Open and Next to continue.
      [​IMG]
    16. Click Next
      [​IMG]
    17. Click Finish
      [​IMG]
    18. Press OK
      [​IMG]