Sound issues under PD5 running Win7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Shepherd, May 17, 2010.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd Member

2. TimothyO

TimothyO Bit poster

Add me to the annoyed list.

I patiently waited through Parallels 4-->5, OSX 10.6.2 -->10.6.3, tried RealTek drivers, fixed the HDD size, turned off all Win7 graphics features, and optimized everything I could find. Tried every view setting, set to 44.1 kHz, and about 100 other things.

It still stutters, using external USB audio devices or the internal MacBook Pro speakers.

3. dontdo_that

dontdo_that Junior Member

I'm also in the same boat and experiencing the same issues. Ever since vista and PD4, I've experienced nothing but problems with stuttering sound running boot camp isntallation via Parallels. Every few months I check here (search) and find that nothing has been changed, and no update from developers. I tried VMWare Fusion about a year ago with Win 7, and also experienced the same sound issues. I'm beginning to think that this is an unsolve-able problem, at least with current hardware and software capabilities.

I'm unclear on whether these sound issues are isolated incidents, or if EVERYONE using Parallels is experiencing sound issues with Win 7.

What a bummer. Won't be buying anymore VM software from anyone until reports of these sound issues are gone.

4. TimothyO

TimothyO Bit poster

I did run a PC app called "dpclat.exe" which ostensibly checks for deferred procedure call latency issues which are a common source of audio starvation/stutter.

The latency numbers were through the roof and pretty much make the problem evident. If we could find and fix the root cause we might have a chance.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

tim

5. DJRobX

DJRobX Bit poster

I'm having this problem too (Mac Pro 2006 + Win7). It's super annoying - also the audio will sometimes "freeze up" and exiting/restarting parallels is needed.