Space key not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MichaelB148, Apr 8, 2023.

1. MichaelB148

MichaelB148 Bit poster

Since the update to macOS 13.3.1 the space key doesn't work anymore.
    I'm using a Windows 11 and a Ubuntu 22.04 vm, the problem occurs in both of them.
    Nothing else has been changed.

2. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID
    Thanks!

3. MichaelB148

MichaelB148 Bit poster

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As a possible solution, to send key presses directly to your virtual machine, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Shut down your Virtual Machine.
    2. Open Parallels Desktop Preferences (Right-click Parallels Desktop icon (on your dock) > Preferences > Shortcuts).
    3. Click on "macOS System Shortcuts" and select the drop-down to set "Send macOS System Shortcuts" to "Always"
    4. Select Virtual Machine, open the Virtual Machine's Configuration ( https://kb.parallels.com/117287 ).
    5. Click on the "Hardware" Tab and select "Mouse and Keyboard".
    6. For the options "Keyboard" select "Optimize for games" from its drop-down options.
    7. Turn on your virtual machine and verify if the keypress issue has been resolved.
    If the issue persists, please collect an additional technical report (click on Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID.
    Thank you.

5. MichaelB148

MichaelB148 Bit poster

I'm sorry, the problem persists.

6. MichaelB148

MichaelB148 Bit poster

Found a solution. In Settings -> Accessibilitx-> Keyboard -> Keyboard Control you need to switch it off.
    Now the space bar works again in Parallels virtual machines.

7. RobertF36

RobertF36 Bit poster

@MichaelB148 Thanks for the solution, but there needs to be a better fix. Disabling this setting means that some people with motor disabilities will not be able to use their computers. Parallels really needs to find a better solution.

8. Chuck8

Chuck8 Bit poster

i am still not getting any joy with this solution, i am writing this in chrome on my mac as i can't use space in my windows 11 virtual machine, this sucks. can't use copilot because it is giberish i am writing, parallel 10 didn't have this issue, get the regression fixed and give us a solution to space bar taking me into coherence mode instead of giving me a space