Startup time increased unexpectedly

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AlbertoA2, Aug 4, 2018.

1. AlbertoA2

AlbertoA2 Bit poster

Dear Forum,

I have been using Parallels Desktop for Mac Home Edition for over two years now and I have always been satisfied with the product.
    However, recently I have notice that the startup time of my Windows virtual machine has increased unexpectedly.
    Before, from the moment I used to press the Power button to when I was able to start a program in Windows there was only a 15-16 seconds time span.
    Now, it is about 1 minute and 50 seconds.
    I cannot tell whether this is happening since I have upgraded my Imac to Mac Os Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G65), but I guess so.
    However, here is my system infos:
    Imac 27" Retina Late 2015
    Mac Os Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
    Parallels Desktop 13.3.2 (43368)
    Windows Version: Windows Home Edition 1803 Build 17134.165
    Do you have any clue whether there is a relationship between the latest MacOS and startup issues in Parallels?
    Thank you and kind regards,
    Alberto

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @AlbertoA2 , please follow the steps suggested in the article and check if that helps.

3. AlbertoA2

AlbertoA2 Bit poster

Hi Arun,

many thanks for your reply.
    I followed the steps suggested in the article you linked but it seems that I have no issues with the drivers loaded.
    Still, Wndows now takes 10x to load.
    Kind regards,
    Alberto

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @AlbertoA2, we would request you to take a Snapshot and to see how your virtual machine performs on shutting down with fast startup enabled, you can disable it in just a few steps:

1. Start the Windows 10 virtual machine and right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Search.
    3. Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Click Power Options.
    5. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    6. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    7. Click Turn on fast startup (recommended).
    8. Click Save changes.
    If you want to disable fast startup at any point, simply repeat the steps so a checkmark appears next to Turn off fast startup.

5. AlbertoA2

AlbertoA2 Bit poster

Hi PaulChris,

many thanks for your reply.
    I did not understand exactly what you were asking me. Should I leave the fast startup ON or OFF?
    However, please find below a screenshot of my Power Options:

Schermata 2018-08-08 alle 21.54.32.png

The fast startup was already ON. This time it took 1 minute and 28 seconds to have a usable desktop. In addition, I am experiencing general slowliness of the system. I realize that when I drag windows all over the screen; they are not smooth like they used to be before. Needless to say, all Parallels sofware is up to date.
    Alberto

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @AlbertoA2, please take a Snapshot and disable the Fast startup, then check if the issue persists.

7. AlbertoA2

AlbertoA2 Bit poster

Hi PaulChris,

I did as you suggested but nothing has changed. It takes 1m23sec to have a usable desktop.
    Thank you.
    Alberto

8. AlbertoA2

AlbertoA2 Bit poster

Hi Guys,

so two months have passed and none have come back to me with the hint of a solution to this problem.
    In these two months, I have updated Parallels to the latest version and so I did for Windows 10. MacOS is also to the latest build.
    For me, whether it takes 15 seconds or 1m25 secons from OFF to CLICKABLE DESKTOP it is not a big issue. I do not do big things, just some light use.
    But how about you developers? Don't you think it is quite a bit strange?
    Did you investigate the matter further?
    Anyone else is experiencing the same?
    Alberto.

9. Please follow the steps from this Microsoft article to perform a clean boot by disabling the third party startup items and check for the performance.