Static Drive Letter Mapping for Smart Mount

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TS-Micah, Oct 30, 2016.

1. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I have a feature request that I really need, I deal with this EVERY time I boot my VM - I'd love for a way to have an option to manually assign specific drive letters to additional drives (shares) other than the home.

For example: Home folder can always be Z:\ - that's fine by me. But other mounted volumes should be able to be assigned a letter:
    eg I have an external drive named Transcend I should be able to assign that volume (when present) to X:\ in WIndows. So this way my drive letters aren't getting shifted all around because the presence (or lack there of) other mounted volumes. I've tried doing this from the Windows side and that resulted in failure - it lies about the drive name b/c the contents display otherwise.

I have most of my VS projects on an external drive which is normally X:\ but now because of MobileBackups it's W:\ and when MobileBackups doesn't exist it goes back to X:\. I use the mapped drive letter b/c I ran into various issues using the full network path \\Mac\{DriveName}\ for some Visual Studio projects.

Is there anyway this can be added specifically for Windows VMs?

2. FireClown

FireClown Member

SmartMount seems to override any custom drive mapping, so my solution has been to disable SmartMount and map the drives manually in Windows.

3. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Yeah, I've actually written a login powershell script to take care of this for me. So it's a non-issue for me a this point, but it would be nice to have a drive letter assignment to manually assign a specific letter to certain mounted drives though.