Still no Multi-select of files in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by darwin@perkinsfam.us, Oct 1, 2010.

1. darwin@perkinsfam.us

darwin@perkinsfam.us Bit poster

I log this every time a new version of Parallels for Mac comes out. I'm using P 6 running Win 7.
    Maybe it's a personal problem, but here's the issue:

Open windows explorer (your file list)
    select 1 file.
    Hold down shift.
    Select some other file somewhere down the list.

Result:
    The focus shifts to the last file.

What should happen:
    In "real" windows, that action should select all files between the first one and the last one (inclusive).
    There should be a similar functionality with the Ctrl key, except it should select all the individual files you select.

BTW, the Mac "click and drag" does select a set of files. But with Win 7, the entire file line is active and it's hard to find an empty place to start the click/drag. If you start on a file, all you do is drag the file.

I do have Mac OS keys turned on and have done nothing to the keyboard settings except to make the coherence sequence Alt-Shft-enter so it wouldn't interfere with Excel's Alt-Enter.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be in your debt.

2. StephenA

StephenA Member

It is just you, works for me. Check your keyboard mappings for your shift key, maybe it is set to do something funky.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Try Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Optimize modifier keys for games. Does it make a difference?

4. plevintampabay

plevintampabay Bit poster

me too

I'm using Parallels Build 6.0.11994
    (Revision 637263; February 17, 2011)
    with Windows 7.

I was having the same problem, but this setting fixed it --

> Try Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Optimize modifier keys for games. Does it make a difference?

Thanks joevt !

5. RytasV

RytasV Bit poster

Was having same problem

I updated the version after Lion was released, and lost the shift function ability. I turned on the "Optimize modifier keys for games" option, and my problem was solved. Hopefully other key functions weren't messed up in the process...

6. tigertales

tigertales Bit poster

Hi all. Same problem.
    Where do I find the 'Virtual Machine Configuration Options'.

Thanks
    (total nube to P)

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Hint: "Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Optimize modifier keys for games" means click stuff with those names, starting with "Virtual Machine" which is the name of a menu in the Parallels Desktop menu bar. The menu appears only when a virtual machine's window is in the front. When a virtual machine window is not frontmost, you can right click the virtual machine in the "Virtual Machine List" window and select "Configure...".

8. tigertales

tigertales Bit poster

Joevt, thank you a thousand times. I still couldn't find the 'virtual machine' menue, but eventually found the setting by going "parallels - devices - configure"

And now it works. Bless you.

9. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The Virtual Machine menu is not visible if the virtual machine window is not open or you're using Crystal Mode with Coherence. The Virtual Machine List window is also not visible when you're using Crystal Mode with Coherence.

10. mdrejhon3

mdrejhon3 Member

Feature request:

Make the Optimize Keyboard for Games an easy button or easily accessible feature. I think it needs to be more easily accessible.

11. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Correction: The menus that aren't visible in Coherence Crystal mode are visible if you hold the option key while clicking the || menu.

12. tim.es

tim.es Bit poster

Thank you!

This problem has been haunting me on and off regularly for over a year - I always have to do some combination of reinstalling Parallels tools and enabling or disabling my VM shortcut keys, and it comes back for no reason later on. This solution for "Optimize modifier keys for games" appears to work perfectly and simply - THANK YOU JOEVT!