Stop asking "Do you want to change your default web browser to ..."

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PaulG10, Jul 26, 2016.

1. PaulG10

PaulG10 Bit poster

When ever I shut down my single VM (Win7) my Mac pops up a System Preferences dialog asking "Do you want to change your default web browser to *Browser Name* or keep using "Parallels Desktop"? I have seen the other threads with the same issue from 2014 (https://forum.parallels.com/threads/default-web-browser.326491/) with replies to follow the steps in the Parallels post (http://kb.parallels.com/122567), specifically at the bottom of the page under the heading "Shared Internet Applications Tool".

Following the steps listed made zero difference to address the problem of being continually asked the same "Do you want to change your default web browser to..." question. Everything is set to open in Windows, and that does happen so yay... but the default web browser question every time is getting annoying! Any ideas?

Cheers

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @PaulG10,
    Try the following steps and let us know if it helps,
    1. Shutdown the Windows VM if open.
    2. Isolate the VM from Mac.
    3. Start the Windows and reinstall Parallels tools.
    4. Shutdown the Windows after restart and disable the isolate option. Check for the issue now.
    If this happens again, please share a screenshot of the popup message.

3. PaulG10

PaulG10 Bit poster

I followed the steps but no success. The dialog is a Mac dialog with the System Preferences icon on the left with a two sentences and two buttons below...

Do you want to change your default web browser to "Safari" or keep using "Parallels Desktop"?
    Your default web browser opens when you click links in places like email messages, documents and other apps.
    [Keep "Parallels Desktop"] [Use "Safari"]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. PaulG10

PaulG10 Bit poster

Does Parallels 11 not like Windows 7 64 bit OEM versions perhaps? I have the exact same setup on my Macbook Pro (above issues are me convincing The Boss parallels and windows works flawlessly on a mac, ugh) but I'm using a retail version of Windows 7 not OEM system builder license. I never have any problems... certainly not like I'm seeing with this new install.

5. PaulG10

PaulG10 Bit poster

6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

7. MarshallA

MarshallA Bit poster

8. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Glad to hear ! Feel free to reach out for further assistance.

9. GrantH1

GrantH1 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. The above links are no longer valid. Is someone able to provide an update?
    Thanks!
    --Actually ignore this. I found the following steps worked:
    Please shut Windows down, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Options -> Web & Email and select 'Default' for both 'Web pages' and 'Email'. Close this window now. Next, navigate to Apple Icon -> System Preferences... -> General and set 'Default web browser:' to 'Safari'. Close this window now and see if the issue re-occurs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019