Stop display of Mac desktop files on windows desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnM36, Mar 22, 2023.

1. JohnM36

JohnM36 Bit poster

I just got a new MacBook Pro (M2 chip). That forced me to upgrade to Windows 11 in Parallels. When I launch the Windows 11 VM, the Windows desktop displays all of the files on my Mac desktop. I know there is likely some easy setting to switch to stop this, but I can't find it.

Can someone give me a clue as to how to change this? My Windows 10 VM on my old laptop just showed the few Windows-specific files & programs I had installed.

PK-Towing likes this.
  2. JohnM36

JohnM36 Bit poster

Never mind. I found the setting under Devices>Sharing>Configure

3. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Dear John,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    The detailed steps to stop seeing your mac desktop stuffs on your Windows 11 virtual machine is to unlink the Shared Desktop feature as follows:
    1. Launch Parallels Desktop > Click on Parallels Icon on top of the mac menu bar > select Control Center.
    2. Right-click on your Windows 11 virtual machine > select Configure > Choose the "Options" tab > Select Sharing
    3. While the "Mirror Mac and Windows user folders" option is checked > click "Customize" > Uncheck "Desktop" and press ok.
    4. Launch your Windows 11 Virtual machine > Now the Desktop will be only that of the Windows virtual machine.
    Thank you!