Stop Parallels from activating a background app on desktop switch

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GarthS, Sep 29, 2015.

1. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

I'm using Parallels 11 on El Capitan with a Windows 10 guest. Windows is on a separate desktop and I use a four-finger trackpad swipe to switch between OS X and Windows.

When I switch from the Windows to the OS X desktop, Parallels seems to activate whatever application owns the topmost document window. Evidently, it's assuming I will have lost context on whatever was going on in my OS X world and will expect to be manipulating whatever document I can see when I return.

In fact, this behavior is hugely annoying, particularly in applications such as InDesign that put a lot of their content in non-document panels. Here's a use case that illustrates the problem: I want to create an InDesign document (in OS X) that has the same page size as a Windows document. So I start InDesign and choose New Document to bring up the new-document dialog box. Then I switch to Windows and bring up the document properties on whatever document I'm emulating so that I can see the reference page size. Then I switch back to OS X, intending to type those values into InDesign's new-document dialog. But InDesign has completely disappeared because Parallels has activated some other random app.

Is there any way to prevent this behavior?