Stop Parallels from asking me to change my default browser

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SanDiegoJim, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

I have just installed a Windows 8.1 virtual machine in Parallels 10 on my iMac. Every time I launch the virtual machine, Parallels pops open a window saying Parallels is not my default browser and wants me to switch from Firefox on my iMac.  I have searched Mac, Parallels and Windows preferences to find a way to stop this annoying pop up but cannot find a solution. Anyone know how to stop Parallels from annoying me invasively each time I start up?

Screenshot 2014-09-19 19.03.00.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. James_Yothers

James_Yothers Bit poster

I 2nd this motion/requested answer. Every time I come out of screen saver it is asking me to change from firefox. Which isn't my default either on the MAC side.

3. Hogwildmy

Hogwildmy Bit poster

In OS X on the Parallels toolbar select actions/configure. Click on options and then applications. Under the share mac applications with windows area, set webpages to open in mac. This seems to have fixed the problem for me.

4. JeraldJ

JeraldJ Bit poster

In Parallels 10, edit the VM's options.
    Select Applications
    I had Web Pages set to Default, but I have now set it to "Open in Mac", as suggested by @Hogwildmy. I had a little trouble following his instructions :)

5. ClickLady

ClickLady Junior Member

Like the OP, I have a Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine with Parallels 10 on an iMac.

Unlike other posters, I want web pages and email to both open in Windows apps.

My settings are:

Options > Applications > Web Pages: > Open in Windows
    Options > Applications > Email: > Open in Windows

However, I still get that annoying pop-up, asking me whether I want my browser to be Safari or Parallels Desktop.

Any suggestions?

6. James Lewis

James Lewis Bit poster

It is still asking me also. My settings are as described above.

7. Joseph_Kirby

Joseph_Kirby Bit poster

Yes please, would be appreciated if we get a fix on this.
    It is now 9-7-15 and this is still an active issue. though retina issues being the top of the order still for me, it seems better, keep going.

8. KaiS1

KaiS1 Bit poster

Is there any chance of this ever being fixed? I have a VM that I want to be more or less stand-alone and have all links in the VM open within the VM itself, and because of that I have to deal with this pop-up every time I start it.

9. Denis2

Denis2 Bit poster

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member