Strange numbers in VM name after upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MarCoTech, Oct 10, 2014.

1. MarCoTech

MarCoTech Bit poster

I just upgraded from Parallels 8 to Parallels 10, running on a Mac Pro with the latest version of Mac OS X (10.9.5). I have four VMs (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012.

Each VM lists correctly in Control Center. But when I open the VM in it's own window, all the letters in the title of the VM are replaced with numbers and fractions. I have rebooted, etc. and the problem persists. As far as I can tell, nothing else is acting strangely. I wonder if there is a font missing from my Mac that Parallels needs?

How do I fix this?

See screen shots for each of the four machines. I also included a screen shot of Control Center so you can see the names that each VM is supposed to have.

Attached Files:

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    Please Parallels Desktop 10 latest build from www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10 and re install as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/122647 and let us know how does it work.
    Note: If you reinstall Parallels Desktop 10 you do not need to reinstall Windows or create a new virtual machine. You can successfully use your existing virtual machine.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

4. MarCoTech

MarCoTech Bit poster

I have reinstalled Parallels 10. I also deleted the font cache by executing the following commands in Terminal:

sudo atsutil databases –removeUser
    sudo atsutil databases –remove
    atsutil server –shutdown
    atsutil server –ping

The problem still exists.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the config.pvs, a XML text file inside the .pvm bundle, has had its encoding changed, it should be UTF-8. you can also check if the name is spelled correctly inside it.

Another hypothesis is that the font used is damaged/corrupt.

6. MarCoTech

MarCoTech Bit poster

Looks like the encoding is UTF-8. And the name is correct. See attached.

Attached Files:

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Out of ideas, sorry!

8. MarCoTech

MarCoTech Bit poster

Update - I installed Yosemite and this problem went away. It had to be some corruption in a system font? Anyway, it's not an issue on my mac anymore.