Stuck "Restoring your previous version of Windows..."

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mludviksen, Dec 16, 2017.

1. mludviksen

mludviksen Bit poster

Hi.

I'm having trouble getting back to windows after running Windows updates. I'm running Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition, version 13.2.0 (43213), along with Windows 10 Pro. There was some type of message that the Mac OS blocked access to the physical boot drive during one of the Windows update, and I'm guessing that's what triggered the endless loop that I'm seeing.

Any idea how I can get Windows to successfully boot up again? It seems I have to "force quit" Parallels to stop my boot camp from running - I can't suspend or shut down from the menus. I tried re-booting my MacBook Pro, and I'm still getting the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @mludviksen, Parallels Support Here! Please click on the two red lines on the Mac Menu Bar > Action > Click on Stop and try to start the VM into recovery mode and try restoring the virtual machine followed by this article http://kb.parallels.com/122840 (Applies for the latest version of Parallels) and check if it helps. Thanks, Shathish

3. ShawnJ1

ShawnJ1 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I am running Windows 10 so pressing F8 does not enter recovery mode, and holding down shift as you normally would on a PC does not work either. Please advise.

4. mludviksen

mludviksen Bit poster

I'm still struggling with it. I tried pressing F8 as well and that flat out doesn't work. I connected a Windows 10 installation ISO as a CD drive and managed to get to the repair options, but nothing seems to work there either. What if I just reinstalled Windows 10 on top of the current installation?

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ShawnJ1 , please follow the steps suggested in the article to boot Windows on Safe mode and check if that helps.

6. Arun@Parallels

Hi @mludviksen , we cannot reinstall new Windows virtual machine over the old one. Please try to boot the virtual machine in safe mode by following this article and check if that helps.

7. ShawnJ1

ShawnJ1 Bit poster

Arun, I tried this article and it is stuck in a loop of "Parallels EFI Press any key to enter boot device menu..." and "Restoring your previous version of Windows...". I am not able to get into safe mode.

What should I try next?

8. Arun@Parallels

Hi @ShawnJ1 , please have a look at this article and check if that works.

9. satolass

satolass Bit poster

So I had that problem after an update that was performed onto my bootcamp partition trough the parallel virtual machine tool on mac.
    Everything kind of freeze on a gray screen and I had to force reboot the laptop. (macbook pro late 2015)
    After that I had this "Restoring your previous version of Windows" loop.

The solution:
    - Start the computer (it will start to bootcamp), when the windows logo appears hold shutdown key on keyboard to force shutdown.
    (into parallel maybe it is possible to do that by pressing the stop button into parallel software).
    - Do that three times. At the third time you'll be into Advanced Recovery environment.
    - Press F9 to load another OS. It will start with the version of windows that still work.
    - In windows to prevent the corrupt version to boot again you have to launch msconfig onto the windows bar (WIN+R)
    - Into"boot" you should see a "Windows 10" and a "Windows rollback" you can set the "windows 10" as default and if you wish, delete the rollback boot loader just by selecting it and pressing delete : https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-remove-the-windows-rollback-option-from-the-boot-menu/
    - Restart, everything should be fine !

It worked for me, now windows 10 is working again, and also into parallel.
    The problem with windows are these Obligatory rigid updates... people don't always have the time or the possibility to update the machine and elecricity loss or any other problem can occur when people are not in the right moment to wait 30min update....

Have a nice day hope this help :)

10. lewis4

lewis4 Bit poster

Hello , my windows is stuck in a look trying to uninstall changes - I have tried many times to start the machine and press stop while its booting to try and get it to boot in to safe mode but it just keeps looping round is there any other way ?

11. Hello, did you try the solution above?