Suddenly, Power Director 16 is glacially slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by James Rome, Dec 3, 2017.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I use PD 16 in a Parallels VM on my Mac Pro (2010), which has 12 cpus, 24 cores, and 32GB of memory.
    I configured the VM (as usual) with 7 CPUs and 12GB of memory. But suddenly, the usual 4-6 hours to produce has jumped to over 100 hours!
    My CPU meter shows just 30-40% usage, and 37% of ram.
    [​IMG]
    What could be wrong? It looks like the VM is not using more than 1 core.

Jim

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @James Rome, can you please send us a problem report collected right after the sudden hike of CPU usage (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

3. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

The problem is that there was no sudden hike in CPU usage. It looks like Parallels is no longer using all the cores assigned to it. And I tried it with the stock Windows 10, and the Fast Track version with the same results. The project produced on a "real" but old windows machine in 7 hours.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reproduce this scenario, generate a Problem Report ID while the said scenario is present and reply with the report ID number. We'll then investigate. Also, when did this issue start?
    Are you saying this based on what you're seeing in Windows Task Manager?

5. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I look at menu meters on my Mac. I'll generate a report.

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

"menu meters"? Can you share a screenshot of this please?
    Yes, please. We'll stand by.

7. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

[​IMG] ID number 229875111
    [​IMG]
    The time remaining was continuing its inexorable march upward when I took the screen shot. I have been using PD in Parallels for years now with no problems. But that was before High Sierra.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I am currently ripping a Tidal stream (on Mac), so the menu meter activity is about 1/2 due to that.