Support for Arch Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by WilliamU, Aug 13, 2015.

1. WilliamU

WilliamU Junior Member

Hi,

Are there plans to support Arch Linux as an installable VM? I tried installing it this morning from CD but was told the OS could not be detected, seriously disappointed I have to admit.

2. mmika

mmika Pro

It does not prevent you from installing Arch Linux, just press "Continue" button

3. WilliamU

WilliamU Junior Member

OK, thanks for that. I didn't try Continue in case there were issues with it. But I'll try an install over the weekend if I can.

4. MichaelR6

MichaelR6 Bit poster

I have an arch linux VM running on the retina mac book pro. I would like to be able to see the Parallels Tools multi monitor support work for Arch as well as it does on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS , or for Windows 10. Arch Linux, being a rolling release, when up to date, is normally near the front release version of most gnu/linux software. If Parallels were able to keep up with Arch, all the other distributions might be more of a doddle.
    The pacman -Syu update command seems just a a bit slower than running Arch Linux booted natively on the same hardware, so I presume there is performance penalty for the bridged network interface.

After pacman -Syu , and reboot, tried to upgrade parallels tools for latest 11.0.1.
    Some errors logged in /var/log/
    Installation of kernel modules was finished successfully
    Start installation of user space modules
    X server: xorg, Version: 1.17
    System X modules are installing from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.1.17
    System X modules are placed in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules
    X server configuration was skipped
    cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/20-x11-parallels.fdi': No such file or directory
    Error: there is no option to install prltoolsd service
    Error: failed to install prltoolsd service
    Error: failed to install user space applications and drivers
    2015-09-11T22:38:48+1000: execCmd: ./install --install [123]
    2015-09-11T22:38:48+1000: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2015-09-11T22:38:52+1000: Exiting with code 1

On Arch, I had already followed the instructions to install the prtoolsd as a systemd organizied service. --
    See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Parallels
    After reboot, the prltoolsd has two instances in ps -A | grep tool, so I presume service running ok
    xrandr reported only a Virtual1 Screen, and I found an optimal resolution on the xfce4 display control (running xfce4 desktop)
    I was able to run a mount script, for type prl_fs, and copy my extract of the install log above.
    Simple copy and paste did not work when shifting from Linux to host Mac OS.
    So the Arch Linux latest support works, and upgrades and installs could be better. xorg / xrandr support could be better.
    Support of Arch Linux is good enough to use, but could be better.
    It should be better, as it is well established and deserving distribution, and would push the Parallels desktop support team towards the front edge of Linux guest OS support.

LeonardoF1 likes this.