" There was an error connecting to server "

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Alexander4, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Alexander4

Alexander4 Bit poster

Short story: Parallels makes SMB connection of the host OS X machine with another machine in LAN (running Windows 10) slow and buggy until u uncheck "Connct my iMac to this network" box in global parallels network settings

Long story:
    After installing Parallels Desktop 11.0.0 (31193) my connection to file sharingof Windows 10 machine in my LAN becomes slow and buggy. Sometimes I even get "There was an error connecting to server" message. In finder the word "Connection..." (see the attach) is seen about 10-15 seconds before actual connect. While without Parallels Desktop connection happens instantly. If I just quit PD - I cannot access my Windows machine at all until I reboot - get "There was an error connecting to server" message.
    I have 3 machines in my LAN connected via Time Capsule.
    iMac Retina and Windows 10 desktops are connected by cable and MacBook Pro Retina is connected by WiFi. I
    The same happens both on iMac and Macbook (under OS X). If I uninstall PD - everything is fine agiain!

Any solution?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Alexander4

Alexander4 Bit poster

After some research something is making sense.

All the problems described above happen ONLY when my iMac (or MacBook) have "Connect Mac to this network" box checked in Parallels network preferences. Seems that the virtual adapters are implemented crooked and askew - making whole iMac-Windows network discovery SLOOOOOOOW...

And, by default, iMac IS connected to "Shared network" but alternative Bridge mode is ALRIGHT - no problems apper. I jsut wonder what will be the best solution.

What are the drawbacks if I change Virtual Machine network connection to bridged mode instead if buggy "Shared"? The most troubling question if it has the same safety concerning access tomy iMac files.

Just where can I read about differences with BRIDGE and SHARED mode?

3. Alexander4

Alexander4 Bit poster

Any solution yet? How to report a bug?

"Shared" network in Parallels global Network settings makes any other LAN SMB connection of host machine buggy and sluggish if you check the box "Connect my Mac to this network".

Its a global bug of Parallels - reveals itself both on my iMac and MacBook. Their connection to my third machine in LAN (PC conputer under Win 10) becomes slow and sluggish if I install the Parallels and forget to uncheck box "Connect my Mac to this network")

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Firstly, thank you for coming up with this issue. We are trying to recreate the issue on our testing labs and will post the updates soon. For the moment, please go through http://kb.parallels.com/4948 for differences between various network modes.

- Shared mode: Virtual machine will use the IP of the Mac and connect to internet.
    - Bridged mode: Virtual machine will have its own IP and connect to internet.
    - Host only mode: Virtual machine will have a local IP and does not connect to internet.

5. Alexander4

Alexander4 Bit poster

Thank you! I will be in touch.

6. ManojK@Parallels

Great! We're always here to help!

7. Alexander4

Alexander4 Bit poster

Hello! Any success with recreating this issue?
    I would like to help any way I could. If you wish I can make a video comparing my iMac behaviour with this funstion ON and OFF.

PS My free 2-week test time is running out.

8. ManojK@Parallels

Please email us at cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.