Time Machine Backup with Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jlefevre1, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jlefevre1

jlefevre1 Junior Member

How to you set up Time Machine Backup with Parallels 13. All the articles I can find only go up through version 12. It does not work with version 13.

2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello jlefevre1, please make sure that you have followed as suggested in this link and this is applicable to Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac as well. If still, it does not work, please let us know you are unable to backup the Windows virtual machine or you are unable to backup anything from the Time machine? Thanks!

3. NealC2

NealC2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I too cannot find the setting to back up the virtual machine to the mac Time Machine (I am running Ubuntu Linux as the WM).
    There is no BACKUP tab on the PREFERENCES for Parallels 13 and I cannot see anything in the existing tabs for backup. Please see the screenshot.
    Best, Neal

Attached Files:

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @NealC2 , please switch to Security Tab and check.
    Thanks

5. DeanP1

DeanP1 Bit poster

Hi Alfena@Parallels unfortunately, I have the same problem and in the SECURITY tab there is no option for choosing "backup". See this screenshot. What should I do?
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 6.25.09 PM.png

6. NealC2

NealC2 Bit poster

Hi again,
    I also have the same issue as DeanP1, but my PREFERENCES/SECURITY tab looks a bit different. Still, no way to enable backup using Time machine.

upload_2018-1-12_23-24-8.png

7. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @NealC2, We would request you to click on the Two Redlines on the Mac Menu bar > Control Centre > Right Click the VM > Configure > Backup Tab > Check that option is there. Thanks, Shathish

8. NealC2

NealC2 Bit poster

Hi Shathish,
    Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps and it brought me to the screen below. Apparently the default is to back up with Time Machine as shown below. However, when I open Time Machine, I see nothing indicating that my VM is being backed up. I clicked on the Install Acronis True Image, but this costs $80/year, so I did not install it.

Question: Do I need Acronis True Image for Parallels backup? If not, how can I find the Parallels backup using Time Machine ?
    Thanks ! NealC

upload_2018-1-14_18-23-11.png