Time machine doesn't backup Parallels VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bnguyen, Sep 2, 2012.

1. bnguyen

bnguyen Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 8 on Mountain Lion with a Windows 8 guest.

In Parallels, I enable Time Machine backup by:
    1. NOT checking "Do not backup virtual machine"
    2. SmartGuard option: "Optimize for Time Machine"

In Time Machine, I have made sure the VM file isn't excluded.

But as I look into my Time Machine backup, I can't see the .pvm file in ~/Documents/Parallels (which is its location in my machine). I've tried restarting machine, run multiple Time Machine backups etc. Nothing matters, the VM isn't backed up.

What should I do to have Parallels VM backed up by Time Machine?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

3. A. Visser

A. Visser Bit poster

Time Machine does not backup VM

I have the same problem, but the link provide does not help me.

I'm running Parallels 8 on Mountain Lion with a Windows XP guest.

2. SmartGuard option: "Disabled"

But as I look into my Time Machine backup, I can't see the .pvm file in ~/Documents/Parallels (which is its location in my machine). I've tried restarting machine, run multiple Time Machine backups etc. Nothing matters, the VM isn't backed up.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

What do you mean by saying link didn't help you? Did you submit the support request? did anyone contact you after that reading the issue?

5. A. Visser

A. Visser Bit poster

The link did not help because I could not choose the relevant issue in the symptom/issue list. I had contact over the telephone but the lady at the other and could hardly hear me and I had to spell out full @mail addresses etc. That did not work.
    With regards
    A. Visser

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

I suggest you to pick the most relevant symptom - an engineer can change it is necessary later on

7. TheodorD

TheodorD Bit poster

Time machine doesn't backup Parallels VM 7

I also have the same problem!

I'm running Parallels 7 on Mountain Lion an Windows 7

2. SmartGuard option: "Disabled"

I have bought PM 7, on the 5 July 2012 and now the first time I have seen that since this time the ZM never back up my virtual machine. Unfortunately I have not recognized earlier!!!!!!!

8. MarcusH

MarcusH Junior Member

SAME ISSUE: Time Machine not backing up PVM

Parallels, what's going on there? Whenever I uncheck "Time Machine: Do not back up virtual machine", the checkmark will be back on after leaving and then revisiting the "Configure" menu.

Please advise.

Thanks, Marcus

9. Vailfox

Vailfox Bit poster

I have the same exact problem!
    I have parallels 7 that runs on Mountain Lion (Macbook pro early 2011) with Windows 7 VM.
    Please fix quickly this problem!

10. Vailfox

Vailfox Bit poster

nobody help us?

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

12. Vailfox

Vailfox Bit poster

It's wrong. I've created a new VM (Ubuntu 12.04) and it doesn't backup yet.
    What is the problem??

13. Vailfox

Vailfox Bit poster

I have used the command line tmutil tool and the backup now works.
    But the "Don't backup VM" option in the preference window of Parallels doesn't still work.
    Once I have check the option, after short navigation through the others panels, it results not checked.
    How does resolve this problem permanently?

(sorry for my english)

14. YanaYana

YanaYana

There might be some problems with this feature - were are still working on the fix. Updates would be published in KB article - you can subscribe to it.

15. Daniel_Sweden

Daniel_Sweden Bit poster

I have the exact same issue.

Mountain Lion. Parallels 7. WIndows 7.

I ran the command suggested in the KB: sudo tmutil removeexclusion -p "/Users...

It did not work.

Please advice.

Can anyone confirm it works in Parallels 8? From the comments above it seems it does not? I will not upgrade unless I know for sure this had been solved.

16. Daniel_Sweden

Daniel_Sweden Bit poster

I repartitioned my external TM backup drive, it was MBR but now I formatted as GUID Partition Table (GPT).

After selecting this disk again as TM destination it started also backing up the VM file.

Maybe it does not work with MBR partitioned disks?

17. WhewThatWasScary

WhewThatWasScary Bit poster

I had the same problem. I set up a new iMac and looked for the pvm file on the TimeMachine drive but didn't see it nor in the new iMac's Documents folder. Scary as heck!

It turns out Parallels 8 for Mac does NOT store the pvm file in ~/Documents/Parallels, which exists but is empty on the TimeMachine drive and new iMac I'm working on. Wow.

BUT...

Parallels 8 had been and is still storing the pvm file in root:Users/Shared/Parallels (again, this Users folder is on the root of the hard drive so this correct Parallels folder is NOT in any user's account.)

I only figured this out by using OS X's (10.8.3's) search feature and searched for "pvm" (without quotes) in the new iMac (not in the TimeMachine drive since spotlight (OS X search) hadn't indexed the external drive yet and so wouldn't return any search results); I had already manually copied the Users/Shared folder from TimeMachine to the new iMac and so was able to find the pvm file via the OS X search.

I've set up many Parallels and VMWare Fusion accounts on many Macs, and both companies's support is shaky and convoluted. My long term goal is to dump Windows VM on my Mac, but Intuit's the villain here, as its Quicken Home & Business for Windows has no Mac counterpart. Ugh.

18. luis albertom

luis albertom Bit poster

I also have the same problem!

I'm running Parallels 7 on Mountain Lion an Windows 7

Nobody help us ?

Please fix quickly this problem !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. doclight

doclight Bit poster

same identical problem with Parallels Desktop 9. I have lost data and I am not able to recover them. PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!

20. Superded

Superded Bit poster

Time Machine doesn't backup Windows 8 PVM

I have the same issue... I thought that my VM was getting backed up because I didn't tick the do not backup with Time Machine box in Parallels 9. My Computer crashed and guess what my VM was not backed up... After hours of recreating the VM I realize that every time I untick the box it somehow reticks itself after a boot up of the VM or a restart of Parallels.

The option to sudo tmutil removeexclusion -p the .pvm file is useless (seen in a kb here) and The .pvm is not excluded in the graphical of Time Machine.

I see this thread has been going on for a while and the fact that there are no solutions is quite mind boggling...