Time Machine Optimization

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by toonetown, Nov 3, 2018.

1. toonetown

toonetown Member

I have set up my VM to enable smart guard, and have "Optimize for Time Machine" checked. My VM also exists in a folder that *is* being backed up by Time Machine. According to my understanding of https://kb.parallels.com/115052 this should result in the latest snapshot (which is taken every 48 hours) being backed up to my Time Machine drive, but not the current state. However, every time that Time Machine runs, the *entire* VM is getting backed up. If I kick off a TM backup while my VM is running (and not even doing any work), there is upwards of 7-8GB backed up every time, and an `fs_usage` shows that the files being copied actually are my PVM files (even though no new Parallels smart guard snapshot has been made) . This makes time machine backups real slow, and fills up my backup drive quite quickly.

Is there some way to reset the logic so that only the latest snapshot is backed up?

2. toonetown

toonetown Member

In looking at the files to my VM, for some reason, none of them have any extended attributes. Shouldn't some of them have the `com.apple.metadata:com_apple_backup_excludeItem` extended attribute? If so - which ones should I set to exclude?