[tip] Yosemite as a Guest VM, getting better performance.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Specimen, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Because there's still no hardware acceleration on OS X VMs, and because 10.10 makes much more use of it (a lot of transparencies), disabling transparencies might improve the response significantly.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199201/how-to-disable-window-transparency-in-os-x-yosemite/

Feel free to share your experiences with graphic performance of Yosemite as a Guest OS here in this thread, any other issue, please use another thread, thank you.

2. drewallen

drewallen Bit poster

Thanks! Any other tips would be great. It would be nice to have Yosemite usable as a guest OS.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Disable dock magnification, hiding and minimizing/maximizing effects.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

OS X does use a lot of RAM when compared to Windows 8.1, 2GB is the minimum, and at least 4GB for a trouble free performance.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

6. JimS1

JimS1 Bit poster

I continue to get poor graphics performance on a Yosemite guest VM on Yosemite 10.10.2 + Parallels 10.1.3.
    Symptoms:
    1. Bootup is slow, ending with a painfully slow full-screen blt of the background screen, top to bottom (sometimes twice)
    2. Slow to respond to initial login after entry of user/pwd.
    3. Flickers in updates of windows (e.g. point Chrome browser to an updating web page such as speedtest.net or nytimes.com)
    The guest VM (also Yosemite 10.10.2 - I keep hoping an OS X update will fix the problem :) ) is amply provisioned: 2 CPU, 5GB (MBP Late 2013 RD Host has 16), 128MB Video.
    I believe I have tried all the performance tips listed in this string (turned off transparency - on both host and guest), disabled dock magnification on guest).
    This problem is specific to Yosemite as a guest VM. My workaround is to use a Mavericks VM, which works fine.
    The slow full-window BLT concluding boot-up is memorable. Is anyone else seeing this?
    Thanks,
    Jim

7. M.B.

M.B. Bit poster

Some for me...performance of Yosemite guest on Yosemite host is pain! (and I have 8GB Ram!)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. EdL1

EdL1 Bit poster

Agreed, Yosemite graphics performance in PD10 is abysmal. Parallels claim PD10 fully supports Yosemite but this issue says otherwise. This needs to be fixed!

9. M.B.

M.B. Bit poster

I can't understand how they can ignore this shit! Never seen such a lousy and incompetent support! I'm sick of this...

Here they clearly state
    (Source: http://blog.parallels.com/windows-on-mac/2014/10/17/yosemite-parallels-desktop-10-complete-rundown/)

In my humble opinion this is some malicious deception cause it's unusable. I am complaining about this since December 2014, and all I get is some lousy link to a potential fix which I already tried and DID NOT fix the problem.

10. KSed

KSed Bit poster

Voting up. My Screen is constantly flickering. Even with 8GB RAM, 4CPU & 512 Video RAM.

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

As I said:

12. SteveB2

SteveB2 Bit poster

Not sure that re-iterating that there is no hardware acceleration on OSX VMs is a valid excuse. The product spiel on the Parallels website clearly states PD10 runs OSX Yosemite guests on your Mac, and sorry, but at the speed it operates it is not runnable. The technical reasons you've specified might be why it's not runnable, but that is of little solace to me since I just paid $54.99 to upgrade from Parallels 9 so I could run Yosemite clients when I actually can't.

Ironically, I actually wanted to run Parallels 10 on my Mac so I could review Mac Software without cluttering up my host - the first one I reviewed after downloading PD10 was in fact PD10... It didn't score well, which is a shame cos previously it has been excellent. But my biggest gripe was don't sell it to me as being able to run Yosemite because it simply can't. That being said, my Windows guest runs very well - which is something at least...

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The intent of this thread is to share tips on how users can speed up OS X Guests
    There are plenty of other threads that deal with complains about the lack of the said acceleration, in fact, I think I was one of the first to complain publicly if not the first about that.

14. SteveB2

SteveB2 Bit poster

Yeah, fair point, my apologies, I let my frustration get the better of me