Trackpad frozen in virtual window

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.53GHz, 3GB memory, Snow Leopard

I already had Vista in boot camp, before updating to Snow Leopard, and I just now installed Parallels 4.

It starts Vista in virtual machine window.

I click in the VM window, and the keyboard and mouse (Trackpad) inputs are captured... sorta.

Inside the virtual Vista window, I can use the keyboard, but the mouse/Trackpad pointer is frozen. I can [Control][Alt] to release the input devices back to OSX, and both work fine. Returning to the virtual vista disables/ignores the Trackpad again.

When I boot the laptop directly into Vista, via BootCamp (no virtual, no OSX), the Trackpad works.
I can't find any setting about this in Preferences.

I searched the Help and the User Manual and there's nothing. It just assumes that as soon as the input is captured by the virtual machine, it just works. Not for me.
I searched the KB for "trackpad" and got ONE article, in what appears to be German, and that doesn't address the problem anyway.

QUESTION: How do I tell the Parallels virtual Vista to recognize the trackpad input.

Thanks
 
I need a solution to this as well. I have a new MacBook Pro 13, setup bootcamp with windows xp sp3, then install parallels and in recognizes my bootcamp image, but when I start it I can't do anything because it doesn't recognise my trackpad or keyboard. What gives?
 
Hello,

Please follow the steps below in regards to the issue:

First of all, clear the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp on Windows side to remove all the information kept by Windows installer. Check the Guest OS behavior after this. If the problem is still here, try the following:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Parallels and delete the "Parallels Tools" folder;
2. Click "Start" -> "Run" and type regedit. Hit OK.
3. In Registry Editor, go to My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Parallels and delete the "Parallels Tools" entry.
4. Reboot Windows;
5. Make sure that Tools do not get installed again and install them from Virtual Machine menu from the top menubar.

http://lowendmac.com/zisman/08az/glass-trackpad.html
 
What worked for me was "Ctrl-Option-Command-R" at the login screen which then let my keyboard function, once logged in I was able to install the parallels tools via the keyboard and that install seemed to fix everything else. It's worked like a champ since.
 
Back
Top