Transferring my Virtual Machine information into Bootcamp.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LupeG, Nov 9, 2016.

1. LupeG

LupeG Bit poster

How can I transfer all my Virtual Machine information ( installed applications and all) into a bootcamp partion? I really need to do this without having to reinstall every application again on bootcamp. Any ideas?

Is there a way to transfer my virtual machine to an actual PC??

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi LupeG, please check out this article to know how to import your Bootcamp based VM on Parallels Desktop. Thanks!

3. OC_Don

OC_Don Junior Member

Lupe, there seem to be 2 questions.
    First you ask to move a (Windows?) vm into a (Mac) BootCamp partition.
    Then you ask to move your (Windows?) vm onto an actual PC.

I am equally mystified by trying to use Fusion as a virtual machine in the BootCamp partition. And then using the vmdk (containing your Windows virtual machine) as a second hard drive. That implies a second Windows license for BootCamp in which you then run Fusion which then uses the (Windows) vm that you are trying to transfer.

The article pointed to by PaulChris above is the opposite of what you are trying to do, right? You want to move the Windows virtual machine installation you have into BootCamp (or onto a new PC). Yes?

I do not think Parallels will help you with that because there is no reason for them to provide a migration path out of Parallels.

The second question, move (Windows) virtual machine to an actual PC, implies you would have 2 Windows licenses. The one you have for the virtual machine and Windows (10?) for the PC. In the 10 case it appears you would have to spend $15 for Laplink's PCmover Express. If the destination PC is < 10, then Microsoft's Easy Transfer might work. This would also be true if you had a separate Windows license for the BootCamp partition. Basically, a (Windows) PC to PC migration.

But, maybe you want to lift your Windows installation out of the (Parallels) virtual machine and place it into the BootCamp partition? I did that several years ago. Sort of. But it was not easy. First I migrated the Windows virtual machine onto an external disk drive. (Can't remember if I just copied it from within Windows or used some Windows migration software.) Then I installed Windows in BootCamp using the license I had for the Windows installed as a virtual machine. At the time I was going from Windows 7 to Windows 7. When it came time to validate my BootCamp installation, the software gave me a telephone number to call. I told the automated voice I had zero installations. It then gave me a validation code to enter. (I suspect it invalidated the installation I had with my virtual machine. I trashed the vm anyway, so I don't know what would have happened had I fired up the old vm.) So I got Windows 7 up and running in BootCamp. Then I installed my Windows configuration from the external disk drive using migration software.

Hope this helps.