Transport XP partition from bare hard drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Crowbot, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Crowbot

Crowbot Bit poster

Is it possible to transport or install an XP partition from a hard drive that has been removed from a tower?

I have a hard drive that I removed from a defective tower and I'd like to get use of it again.

TIA

Larry

2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Larry,

Currently, using only a PC's Hard disk to create a VM is not a supported feature with Parallels Desktop for Mac.

I would suggest you to connect the PC's Hard disk to a tower and migrate the Windows XP using Parallels Desktop for Mac. Migration steps available @ http://kb.parallels.com/115007

Thanks,
    Looran

3. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

I would kinda beg to differ. I just got a mac pro that I upgraded to mavericks, then parallels 9 since 7 for some reason stopped showing more than 1 cpu and I just did not have the patience to solve the problem. I took my win xp hard drive partitioned as c and d and installed it in the mac. I can get parallels to treat it as a boot camp partition even though it is not, and best of all, I was able to import the entire hard drive to a vm!

I love this product.

Mike

4. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi sassoon,

Glad that you are able to install a Virtual Machine using only the HD of the Windows PC.

Please do post in the steps performed to make this work.

Thanks,
    Looran

5. Le AnhT

Le AnhT Bit poster

I also encountered a problem as you. And no way to resolve

6. vothan

vothan Bit poster

your computer to the are usually has such as