Trouble Installing Windows 10 on Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveM6, Sep 19, 2016.

1. SteveM6

SteveM6 Bit poster

I am a newbie with Parallels. I am running Parallels Desktop 12 on my Mac. I have purchased and downloaded Windows 10. I downloaded the Single Language 64-bit version.

I selected Express Install and the Windows Setup launches but gets stuck. It says "Select the operating system you want to install". There is a message that says "No images are available."

Yet clearly there is a boot image since it booted up to Windows Setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Steve

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @SteveM6
    The license which you've purchased for Windows 10 is meant for single language or multilingual? If it's for multilingual, please try download a new ISO for the right version. If the license is for single language, then please stop the installation process and create a new virtual machine. Uncheck "express installation" while creating the virtual machine and continue with the installation process.

3. SteveM6

SteveM6 Bit poster

I just bought a generic Windows 10 Home edition license. I will download the standard Windows 10 and see if that works.

-Steve

4. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @SteveM6
    It will definitely work. Please reach out anytime if you have any questions, we will be glad to assist you!

5. SteveM6

SteveM6 Bit poster

It does seem to have worked. Trick was downloading the standard Windows 10. You might add that to the Windows installation instructions.

6. MuhammadR1

MuhammadR1 Bit poster

H
    Hello,
    I have a very similar problem. I purchased Parallels Desktop 12 and Access Bundle (Multilanguage) and Microsoft Windows 10 Education (Multilanguage). I downloaded the 64bit iso, just the Windows 10 version. However, I still encountered the "no images are available" message in the parallel wizard window. I urgently need this to work. Ideas?

Thank you,
    - Rio

7. MuhammadR1

MuhammadR1 Bit poster

How do you uncheck "express installation"?
    - Rio

8. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @MuhammadR1
    Please check this KB to uncheck express installation. If you've purchase a education license of Windows, please download the ISO using this link and proceed with installation.

9. SteveM6

SteveM6 Bit poster

I finally got it to work by using plain "Windows 10" iso. I couldn't get it to work with single language.

-Steve

JuniperS likes this.
  10. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Steve, we are glad that your were able to fix it with plain Windows 10 .iso ! Feel free to reach out anytime.
    Thanks.

JuniperS likes this.
  11. MuhammadR1

MuhammadR1 Bit poster

I got it to work by installing the ISO through the link you provided. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Best,
    Rio

12. MuhammadR1

MuhammadR1 Bit poster

Thanks for your contribution, Steve!

Cheers,
    Rio

13. ChaanB

ChaanB Bit poster

you know what guys, this is plain unacceptable, this should work with any goddamn image I select just like Oracle, VMware or any other virtualization engine, and this should be clearly documented and pointed out in the install screens.

I have been unable to virtualize my various work laptops running windows 10 enterprise edition because of stupid reasons like this and frankly I am about to ditch Parallels and go back to VMware because it goddamn installs anything I goddamn tell it to install.

The Maze I have to run through with the myriad of stupid quirks parallels presents me with costs me time and that means its unusable.

Catch a wakeup there willya...

irked customer

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ChaanB, we request you to share the screenshot of the error while installing Windows 10 Enterprise edition in Parallels Desktop so that we can check and help!

15. KerianneO

KerianneO Bit poster

Issue: "No Images Found" on windows installer window. When trying to download Windows 10, no images found appears on prompt window. Must "Stop Installer" on OS task bar. Problem was can be caused by corrupt iso file or incorrect file overall. If you have the education version, make sure to use the ACADEMIC ISO.
    Solution: Make sure that you are downloading the correct iso file for windows to install into parallels. For example, I downloaded the 64 bit standard Windows 10 (I even tried the Creative and Multilanguage with no avail). IT WORKED when I downloaded a specific academic 64 bit iso for Windows 10 education. The link that worked for me is: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/vlacademicISO. I got that link from another forum thread. Hope it helps!

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for sharing these steps and links. We are glad to see your participation.

JuniperS likes this.
  17. JuniperS

JuniperS Bit poster

This solution worked for me in downloading the very specific version of the ISO. When buying it I had six different options for download including creative and anniversary and a single language. Somehow eventually I downloaded many different versions until one worked. This solution was not easy to find considering how common this must be. Is it possible to make this higher up on the search engines when looking for "missing image file" on install. The most common link I got was about installing it with a USB. Which i was not doing.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JuniperS, yes! You are correct. We should choose the correct package (.iso) according to the license key. We have a blog post which is created for Windows 10 installations in Parallels Desktop. I hope this blog post should help you in creating Windows 10 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop.

19. dannyy

dannyy Bit poster

WHY WOULD YOU OFFER THE SINGLE LANGUAGE iso INSTEAD OF THE NORMAL ONE WHICH EVERYONE BUYS????
    OR AT LEAST STATE BEFOREHAND THAT THIS IS THE VERSION THAT IS GOING TO BE INSTALLED.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels does not offer single language ISO. Microsoft offers all Windows 10 ISO's. You can use single language ISO but the Windows 10 key is unable to validate it. If you disable Express Installation provided in Parallels Wizard and also skip entering the key during installation then it completes without any issues. You can use the key to activate Windows after it is installed as Windows will verify the key now with its activation server.