TrueOS Desktop installer reboots and repeats endlessly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Basil.Bourque, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Basil.Bourque

Basil.Bourque Junior Member

I am trying TrueOS, the evolved version of PC-BSD. I downloaded the 'TrueOS-Desktop-2016-09-09-x64.iso'.

When running the installed in Parallels Desktop 12.0.1 the main menu for the installer appears, with a few options to choose from. I let that menu expire after about several seconds to auto-boot. I see all the installer scripts reporting to the console. But then the main menu for installer re-appears, deja-vu. Lather, rinse, repeat. The main menu and installer scripts keep running in a loop, endlessly.

Any suggestions

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @Basil.Bourque
    Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac does not support True OS as a guest operating system. Please check out this KB to know the list of guest operating system supported in Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac.

3. Steven Scotten

Steven Scotten Bit poster

When I tried the same thing, I found that the defaults set by Parallels 12 for the VM had too low a memory threshold. I changed it from 256MB to 1GB and the installer completed and I have a TrueOS VM running now. The TrueOS handbook says that 1GB is the bare minimum: https://www.trueos.org/handbook/preinstall.html#minimum-requirements

I did this with a newer install image than was available to you back in September of 2016: TrueOS-2017-07-05-x64-DVD.iso and Parallels Desktop Version 12.2.1 (41615). Your mileage may of course vary.

Also consider fiddling with the video settings. The TrueOS installer did not recognize the Parallels virtual video and historically BSD has had some issues with video in virtual machines. Those may not apply any longer but it might be worth some googling.