Two items showing in alt-tab: Parallals desktop & the VM icon, alt-tab broken

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Andrew_Backer, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Andrew_Backer

Andrew_Backer Bit poster

I have managed to hide the parallels control center (never needed it, I rarely run >2 VMs at a time). I just ask the VM list when I need it. However, the fact that, when I run a VM, there are TWO icons in the alt-tab list is just broken. v9 never had this issue.
    • Start the VM from the desktop, and enter full screen mode
    • Two icons show in the alt-tab list (see screenshot, "Parallels Desktop" and "{{VM_NAME}}"
    • Alt-tab to another app, then alt-tab to the {{VM_NAME}} icon
    • "Parallels Desktop" is placed first in the alt tab list. {{VM_NAME}} is placed second.
    • Tab to {{VM_NAME}}
    • Screen transitions to Desktop #1 (but my VM is full screen)
    • Screen then transitions BACK to the VM
    • This has something to do with CC being hidden. Not to mention the screw up that when you are in FS mode and show the CC, then alt tab back to the VM, the CC is permanently hidden behind the VM until you call it up with the menu again. <sigh>
    In short, I can't see ANY reason for the Parallels Desktop icon except to screw up alt-tab. I have learned to never use the {{VM_NAME}} icon and eventually it ends up at the far right, then I can use the "Parallels Desktop" icon to open the VM like a normal human. So, which one of these can you guys figure out how to get rid of? I can't believe it made it through QA like this, since it is the first interaction with a new install and it's already obviously borked. When I first installed V10, I couldn't figure out why it was not letting me alt-tab out...

Is there any fix to this, any way to disable it, etc?

Also, as a side note, using a screenshot for the icon... cute, but a terrible idea.
    • It is always changing, so the icon never looks the same. Would you accept any other icon doing this?
    • It is not easy to identify, even if you only have one, for that same reason. Also, the tiny screenshot never stands out
    • If you have >1 vm, you are forced to read the text for the icon. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    • Suggestions:
      • Just put the VM name there, inside the standard parallels icon
      • Or allow us to choose a custom icon for the VM
      • Or at least allow us to change the background color, if we really need to tell them apart. I don't, personally.

Attached Files: