Ubuntu 18.04 crashes on update

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by CharlesS13, Oct 22, 2019.

1. CharlesS13

CharlesS13 Bit poster

iMac Pro (2017) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with 64 GB memory. Started with Parallels 14.1.3, installed Ubuntu from the parallels control center 'add' installation assistant which installed Ubuntu 18.04, installed parallels toolbox, got a window that Ubuntu had new software and started the update. Ubuntu restarted. Then the window started streaming error messages. "Out of memory, kill process ..." repeated until screen went blank, eventually, the login screen showed. Response was extremely sluggish with 'prl_dis_service' using 150-250% of a cpu. Started FireFox, crashed to login screen after more "Out of memory, kill process ..." messages. Downloaded and installed Parallels 15 and got the exact same results on 2 more tries. Is this a Ubuntu 18.04 problem? If so, why does parallels use this version in their installation assistant. Is there a different method for installing Ubuntu on Parallels so I can try 16.04? Other suggestions?

I have a problem report from Parallels 14, but the 'Upload a file' button will not accept either the .gz or the .tar version of the report file directory. I can post individual files if I know which ones would be useful to review.