Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Guest network not working

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by FedericoR1, Apr 8, 2020.

1. FedericoR1

FedericoR1 Bit poster

Hi
    I want to use Ubuntu linux machine guest as development server but I can't manage to have the networking to work
    I tried both shared network and on wlan but no success.
    it's like the guest don't get ip address, I cant connect to the guest vis ssh nor from the guest to the internet

if I inspect networking devices on the guest I have 1: lo. and 2: enp0s5 that is up but has not ipv4 ip

How can I solve this issue, can it be guest or host configuration ?

2. aslamk1

aslamk1 Bit poster

Hello have you checked is the firewall blocking the ssh may be that is the reason for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
  3. DirkS19

DirkS19 Bit poster

I have the same problem with a Mac host and Kubuntu 18.04 LTS guest. Everything worked fine and suddenly no internet connection. The guest does not get an ip address for device enp0s5, no matter what network configuration I choose in Parallels.
    There was a Mac update and a linux kernel update a few days ago, but no changes in Parallels. Unfortunately I don't remember when exactly the network didn't work anymore. I guess that one of the two updates lead to the faulty behaviour.
    So at the moment my machine is unusable and i have no clue how to solve this.
    Any ideas?

4. FedericoR1

FedericoR1 Bit poster

Yes, no firewall, I've tried both with a machine I've migrated from virtualbox and with a new install, neither of the two work

5. DirkS19

DirkS19 Bit poster

After updating to the latest version of parallels the problem went away...

6. FedericoR1

FedericoR1 Bit poster

Too late, my trial period expired :( , I am back to Vbox

7. FusionX86

FusionX86 Bit poster

Hello, I'm seeing the same behavior with "Shared Network" after I restarted my 16" MBP today. My Ubuntu 18.04 VM no longer gets an IP. Using various Bridged Networks does provide an IP and VMs work, but I prefer Shared Network. I'm not sure what changed and I already have the latest version of Parallels Desktop (15.1.4 - 47270).

8. FusionX86

FusionX86 Bit poster

Update: Restarting Parallels Desktop and the VMs didn't help, but a full restart of my Mac did. "Shared Network" behavior is back to normal and hopefully remains that way.