Unable create macos sierra virtual machine parallels 15

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Wayne6, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Wayne6

Wayne6 Bit poster

I've tried this multiple ways using latest Parallels 15 download (trial):

1) Bootable USB installer created with createInstallmedia command.
    2) Choose Installer app - Parallels writes dmg file, but it doesn't work.
    3) Create dmg file using Disk Utility.

All fail in different ways. Host: macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on Macbook Pro. Have full macOS Sierra installer downloaded in 2018, used to upgrade from El Capitan, worked fine. It's a copy of the original installer (possibly corrupted?) Sierra install app no longer available, but dmg available for download on Apple site. I can probably restore copy of original installer from backup or Time Machine.

Anyone have similar problems? I thought this would be real easy. Installed Windows 10 from iso, no problems.
    I'm going to try again, but have to get a blank external drive, not doing any more trials on my ssd. Maybe install El Capitan and upgrade? This is incredible waste of time.

2. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

Please try following the below instructions in order to create the Mac OS X installer app using the .dmg file:
    1. The issue can be resolved by creating the app file inside a macOS virtual machine created from the recovery.
    2. Open Installation Assistant and create a new macOS virtual machine from recovery.
    3. Transfer the installmacosx.dmg to the virtual machine.
    4. Open installmacosx.dmg and run the .pkg file inside of it.
    5. Once the installation finishes, the app file will be generated in the virtual machine's Applications folder.
    6. Put the file to the Documents folder in your Mac and run Parallels Desktop Installation Assistant. The installation .app will be recognized automatically and you will be able to proceed with the creation of a virtual machine.

3. PulleyH

PulleyH Bit poster

Yes, you are right!
    Bootable USB installer made with make Install media order.
    Choose Installer application - Parallels composes dmg record, yet it doesn't work.
    Create dmg record utilizing Disk Utility.
    I tried copying the installer from my host machine into the VM and it failed UPSers

4. JeffG9

JeffG9 Bit poster

I am also having trouble installing Sierra from DMG. Running Mojave. When I try and open the .pkg file it tells me I don't have the right version of MacOS to open the file.
    So I can't get past #4 of your instructions to see if this works.