Unable to access any Mac software while using Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChrisL10, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ChrisL10

ChrisL10 Bit poster

I am running Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop on my Mac and have been doing so for over two years without a problem. Suddenly, when I am using Windows, I am no longer able to access any of the Mac software such as Google Chrome, Outlook etc. When I click on them, they just appear as a ghost image on the screen, barely visible underneath the Windows home screen, and not able to be used (as shown in the attached screenshot). So now, if I want to go to a website or look at my emails, I have to close Parallels. Is there any help for this, please? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ChrisL10 , from the screenshot you have sent, I can see that Google chrome on your Mac is already running ( a dot under the icon) . If Windows virtual machine is in full screen mode you will not be able to see the Mac applications on it. I would suggest exit Windows from full screen mode, so that you can see the Mac application and Windows screen at the same time.

3. QuaV

QuaV Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem. When I launch Win10 from Parallels, or from the small floating control center window, it immediately goes to full screen model. I want to to open in a window that does not fill my screen, so that I can move and resize the Parallels/Win10 window on my iMac screen. Can't figure out how to change it back from full screen mode.

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @QuaV , please click Parallels Icon ll > Configure > Options > Start and shut down options > Start Windows > Select Window mode.

5. QuaV

QuaV Bit poster

Hi Arun
    thanks for the prompt response. i don't see the "Configure" choice whether I right click on the Parallels Icon in the task bar, or left click which launches Parallels. and I don't find any Options for Start and Shutdown or Windows mode

6. Arun@Parallels

Hi @QuaV , Please click on the Parallels icon ll in the Mac menu bar at the top of your Mac.

7. QuaV

QuaV Bit poster

hmm... still don't see "Configuration" in the Preferences, or the Services, fyi, I have Parallels version 1.2.0

I did finally found "Configuration" . it only allows for "Productivity" or "Gaming" - but re-choosing "Productivity" seemed to work. problem solved.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  8. Arun@Parallels

Hi @QuaV , we are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.