Unable to Access Webserver or Python Server on Host from VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MikeB18, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MikeB18

MikeB18 Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 14 Home edition. I am trying to access a Django server bound to 0.0.0.0:8000 on my host mac from windows 10/ Edge. I can access the server if I use the macs LAN ip address but cannot access it via the Parallels Virtual Network interface ip address (Either of the vnic0 10.211.55.2 or vnic1 10.37.129.2). I may soon have to work without the mac being on a lan. Is this a restriction with the Home Edition? I have the network mode set to Shared. I have also tested against an apache server bound to all ip addresses with the same result cannot reach this page. Similar results using Chrome on windows 10

2. Hi MikeB18. Please set the Network source to 'Default Adapter' instead of 'Shared' in the configuration window and check if it works.

3. MikeB18

MikeB18 Bit poster

This solution simply puts the VM directly on my lan. Windows 10 gets an IP address on my lan. I wish to use the virtual lan not my real lan as I will not have a lan to use. The task I want to achieve is to use my host mac and the VM as if they are on a lan without using my wifi adapter. Both windows 10 and my mac have an ip address on the same virtual lan (10.211.55.*) when running on shared mode so why can't windows 10 browsers access my webservers on the host via that lan?

In answer to your request the solution requires a dhcp server external to my mac. Without my wifi being turned on windows has no network adapter, thus no network.