Unable to "Check for Updates" in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gerald Cox, Jan 5, 2009.

1. GeoffS

GeoffS Bit poster

After an almost useful email conversation with a Parallels engineer, I removed:

Mac HD => Users => GeoffS => Library => Preferences => com.parallels.Parallels.plist

(where GeoffS is my username)

Parallels re-created the plist when I restarted it, and I don't get the error anymore - it just tells me I have the latest version, so I can't actually test if it is working properly. At least the error message has gone.

I'm using 5.0.9344 on a late 2009 iMac.

Geoff.

2. Geoff B

Geoff B Bit poster

Still not working

Thanks GeoffS but sadly this didn't work.

I closed Parallels Desktop
    I removed 'com.parallels.Parallels.plist' to the desktop
    I opened Parallels Desktop again, noted it wrote a new 'com.parallels.Parallels.plist' in my 'Users/<user>/Library/Preferences' folder

Upon checking for updates I still get the 'Unable to check for updates' dialog.

Any Parallels people got further ideas?

Thanks

Geoff B

3. Geoff B

Geoff B Bit poster

Another way

Got no response from anyone, so I downloaded the latest version from:

http://www.parallels.com/download/desktop/

ran the dmg, worked a treat.

Not how it's meant to be but better than waiting...

Geoff

4. RennerMike

RennerMike Bit poster

Unable to connect to the parallels update site...

Getting the same error in Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac (build 5.0.9344).
    Followed all of the steps in this thread to resolve, though this thread was originally focused on v4.
    Internet is accessible in both OS X (10.5.8) and virtual Windows XP SP3.
    No plist file (com.parallels.updater.plist) in the stated location.
    No ability to change destination folder.
    Is there no KB document for v5 issues (found only Article ID 6046 @ http://kb.parallels.com/en/6046)?
    Thanks in advance for your responses!

5. RennerMike

RennerMike Bit poster

Unable to connect to the Parallels Update site

OK... I'm beginning to think this is a network issue in the office.
    Took the MacBook Pro home and re-ran the "Check for Updates" process, which immediately detected the newest build.
    Completed the install process without issues.
    Now running build 5.0.9370 (r589435).

6. The.Sniper

The.Sniper Bit poster

Same issue here.

Parallels version:4.0 Build 4.0.3810
    I was running fine. I Purchased a new Mac
    I saved all my VM's
    Reloaded Parallels on my new iMac Went perfectly.
    Started my Vm's also went perfectly
    then I started to get update nags. I ignored them as long as possible finally I tried turning them off
    they just kept coming back. so I finally caved in and said Ok go get em....
    well the update resulted in the infamous ("unable to connect to the parallels Update site. Please check your internet connection and try again.") dialog.
    I read thru this entire thread and tried. all that was listed with no success.
    1)Deleting the plist file. No success.
    2)un mounting my backup drives and time machine: Also No Success
    3)tried changing the Dl location I tried several different places. Also No Success.

I have read that perhaps its an internet issue. well Im sure it could be with some people. but in my case.
    Im betting NOT. my Internet connection is SOLID as it is within my VM's too.
    this is a UPDATER problem. funny thing the updater is able to connect enough to let you know an update is available!
    but just cant seem to cross the finish line.

This seems to be a problem that has not gotten properly resolved. as many users have experienced the same issue but found different solutions. but not one common solution. unfortunately Im in the category's that has no solution as of yet.

All I can say is HELP?

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What are you updating too? Can you download the update from the Parallels website like Geoff B did instead of using the check update menu option?

8. The.Sniper

The.Sniper Bit poster

I think you are mistaken

"JOEVT SAID"
    What are you updating too? Can you download the update from the Parallels website like Geoff B did instead of using the check update menu option?

GeoffB was not ever able to DL the updates. he did a full Dl of the pgm and reinstalled.

9. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Are Parallels updates smaller than a full download? I don't think that's the case. Besides, if you download the installer, you can keep it for safe keeping (I think the update menu option always deletes the installer after it's done) so you can use it to reinstall on a new Mac or whatever without having to go through the update process.

10. The.Sniper

The.Sniper Bit poster

Joevt,
    you are correct if Someone saves the full Dl then they have a redundant backup for future installs.
    However this does not mean the updates shoudl not work.
    In my case All I wanted to do was live with my initial install which ran great and still does.
    with exception to the "NAGGING Update dialog screen" which just wont die.
    I even went into the preferences and said "Dont remind me/or check for updates"
    and wouldn't you know it still does. All this being said. I dont really care about the updates.
    I just want to keep using my version but not get nagged.
    but thats water under the bridge at this point.
    Sam

11. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Since you can't keep using your version and not get nagged, then you should update. Any bugs you see should be reported to Parallels using the Report a Problem menu option. Just don't expect the bugs to be fixed any time soon. Bugs reported against older versions will probably have lower priority. Maybe the the bug is fixed in a newer version.

12. The.Sniper

The.Sniper Bit poster

I hear you but this just means more $$
    If my issues were getting any attention I would prob just upgrade. but seems like the philosphy behind my decision process is spot on for me.
    Why would I perpetuate the will of a company by upgrading a product that (I fully supported by PAYING For It.)
    is now having issues. then the solution is to upgrade? what IF i have the same issue? or perhaps some other issue?
    thenwhats my solution? pay some more? this is just bad judgement. Ill jump ship and take my business elsewhere.
    bad advertisement goes along way.
    Im just saying....

13. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

14. Herve

Herve Bit poster

Hi, it seems than Parallels 6 have the same problem..., ..., ..., ...

15. KlausL

KlausL Junior Member

Was in the same trouble with getting no update connection for my PD6 the last few hours. Now, after a reboot and having done nothing else, i can download the latest patch fine. Seems there was a problem on Parallels site - too much traffic??

16. Herve

Herve Bit poster

Have downloaded and installed the full latest build (11822) but the problem is still here, KlausL you're a lucky man...