Unable to check for updates - Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac 16.1.1 (49141)

TheodK

Member
Dear all,
Has anyone had this Unable to check for updates message before when selecting Check for updates... in the Control Center?
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-18 om 11.35.47.png
This happened directly after upgrading to Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac 16.1.1 (49141).
I get this both on my MBP mid 2015 with Catalina as well on my MBP 2011 with High Sierra.
I've read all the posts about this subject and it has nothing to do with wrong aliases in the hosts file or with wrong firewall settings.
I actually did not change anything and Parallels Desktop 15 had no such issues.
Thank you in advance.
Theo
 
I have the same error. There's nothing in my hosts file and I can ping update.parallels.com
This has just recently started failing.

tracert shows this

Code:
traceroute update.parallels.com
traceroute: Warning: update.parallels.com has multiple addresses; using 104.17.248.35
traceroute to update.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net (104.17.248.35), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  netgear_d7000 (192.168.1.1)  1.204 ms  0.761 ms  0.929 ms
 2  253.core.plus.net (195.166.130.253)  7.866 ms  7.579 ms  6.957 ms
 3  84.93.253.107 (84.93.253.107)  7.898 ms
    84.93.253.111 (84.93.253.111)  8.602 ms
    84.93.253.107 (84.93.253.107)  8.509 ms
 4  core1-be1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.125.130)  8.057 ms  7.979 ms  8.947 ms
 5  peer8-et-0-1-7.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (194.72.16.146)  8.062 ms
    peer8-et0-1-5.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (109.159.252.102)  8.159 ms
    peer7-et-4-0-5.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (194.72.16.130)  8.338 ms
 6  109.159.253.95 (109.159.253.95)  87.334 ms
    195.99.126.233 (195.99.126.233)  20.311 ms
    109.159.253.95 (109.159.253.95)  74.584 ms
 7  104.17.248.35 (104.17.248.35)  8.165 ms  7.792 ms  8.516 ms

And here's a dig.

Code:
dig update.parallels.com
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> update.parallels.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58940
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;update.parallels.com.        IN    A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
update.parallels.com.    562    IN    CNAME    update.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net.
update.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net. 262 IN    A 104.17.249.35
update.parallels.com.cdn.cloudflare.net. 262 IN    A 104.17.248.35
;; Query time: 20 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.11#53(192.168.1.11)
;; WHEN: Sat May 29 20:15:48 BST 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 134

DNS is working perfectly.
 
Hi, what is your current Parallels Desktop version?

nG9jyB0.png
 
This is the latest Parallels Desktop version, you will no be able to update it right now.
If you have any additional questions please let us know.
 
Same problem for me here. Parallels Desktop 16.5.1 (50696).
I can confirm I still get the same problem with build 50696.

The only way I knew there was an update was because MacUpdater told me. Parallels still can't check itself for updates.

The lack of official response is staggering.
 
Parallels team never respond to our question ?
No. Not uncommon.
With the M1 Apple devices, I won't be renewing this year. I can live without Windows now. It's all very well claiming to be Windows ARM compatible but when that precludes running 99% of windows software, it's a waste of time.
 
No. Not uncommon.
With the M1 Apple devices, I won't be renewing this year. I can live without Windows now. It's all very well claiming to be Windows ARM compatible but when that precludes running 99% of windows software, it's a waste of time.
Hello, we apologize for the delayed response. Kindly check if you have set your Parallels Desktop for automatic update. Thanks, Parallels Team.
 
Back
Top