Unable to connect to Parallels Service (upgrade from 12 to 13)

KevinB4

Bit poster
Upgraded from 12 to 13. No errors during installation. Started Parallels and get, not one, but TWO message pop-ups that state:

Unable to connect to Parallels Serivce
Make sure that the prl_disp_service process is active and it is not blocked by Firewall. For details, please refer to http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/supportinfo/pdfm13_en_US_249

NO firewall service running.
Followed the stop/start launchctl as per the referenced link in the error dialog.
Still doesn't work.
Removed the installation (dragged to trash, emptied trash) and rebooted.
Tried installation again.
Same exact response.
Rebooted again.
Same.
Sent problem report.
 
@weza don't know if this will help you, note I'm running 10.12.6 ... I tried just dragging the application to the trash, but after talking with Parallels this needs to be done to git rid of it fully...
Execute the following commands separately (one by one):
sudo su NOTE: You will be prompted to enter your Mac password after executing the first command. Due to security measures you won't be able to see the password itself, just type it in and hit return/Enter.
rm -rfd /System/Library/Extensions/prl*
rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels*
rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/parallels
rm -rfd ~/Library/Parallels
rm -rfd ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.parallels.desktop.console.savedState
rm -rfd /Library/logs/parallels.log
rm -rfd /Library/Preferences/Parallels/
rm -rfd /private/var/db/Parallels/
rm -rfd /private/var/.parallels_swap
rm -rfd /private/var/db/receipts/'com.parallels*'
rm -rfd /private/var/db/Parallels/Stats
rm -rfd /private/var/root/library/preferences/com.parallels.desktop.plist
rm -rfd ~/Applications\ \(Parallels\)/
rm -rfd /Applications/Parallels\ http://Desktop.app/
Restart the Mac.
Install Parallels Desktop again.
Note...I also added the following to my situation, as being SU'd when performing the relative ~/Library/ references are to the root user, not my default user. So before rebooting and reinstalling, I performed the rm -rfd ~/Library/... commands as my normal user account:
exit
rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels*
rm -rfd ~/Library/Preferences/parallels
rm -rfd ~/Library/Parallels
rm -rfd ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.parallels.desktop.console.savedState
rm -rfd ~/Applications\ \(Parallels\)/
When I rebooted and reinstalled I was prompting for Licensing agreements, etc. that I was not prompted for before.
 
Having the same problem. Going back to v12 works fine. But 13 has this error.

Edit: I followed KevinB4's recommendation (do sudo su first) and I fixed my problem. Only caveat is that control center will forget all your VMs. So you have to re-add them to Control Center (as a move, not a copy).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top