Unable to connect to Parallels Update site, but there is web access w/firefox & IE

Jason Ptaszek

Bit poster
I have a Macbook Pro (late 2009) running Snow Leapord and Parallels 4. Everytime I try to update parallels I get a prompt saying that it is "Unable to access parallels Update site" and tells me to check my internet connection. However, both IE on the windows side and Firefox on the mac side have access to the internet. I've checked the network preferences on both and they all seem accurate.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a work around (like downloading the updates elsewhere?) I'd like to resolve this issue, I've installed it on other Macbook Pros before and haven't had any problems updating the program. I've also tried to reinstall Parallels...as well as reinstall parallels tools
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 12.35.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-13 at 12.35.55 PM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 4
If you're not using Parallels Desktop 6 then you can download using one of the links at:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21252/parallels-desktop
For Parallels Desktop 4, the latest is "ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3848.450204.dmg".

If you're using Parallels Desktop 6 then download the Trial version and update using that. This is better since I think the Update option deletes the .dmg when it's done even though you may need it to uninstall or reinstall later. The file is called "ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11822.604190.dmg"
 
I have the same problem and I feel very strongly that Parallels should correct this situation, makes me wonder about Parallels expertise ...!

I have downloaded the update which appears as "ParallelsDesktop-parallels-...06.692267.dmg.prlupd-part" in Finder but cannot open or install it.

Andre Dumas
 
I don't have this problem, there are a lot of reasons to why this might happen (firewalls, proxies...).
But you can find all the download links in my signature. Directly from Parallels.com.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, that article as very little 'troubleshooting' to it. I get this error every time, and I have a very reliable, fast (>25Mbs) cable connection. No KB article I've read on Parallels website has yet to have a reasonable explanation for the inability to download updates.

I can download full .ISOs from other sites with nary an issue.
I can download updates directly from the website.
I can ping the update.parallels.com address with no problem. (although the IP address returned by DNS doesn't match the example in the KB, but it's close)

I've submitted a problem report, but have not heard a reply.
 
Still happening

I still get the connection error as well, and it's almost July. Any diagnostics that can help pinpoint why it's failing? I've gone through the 'troubleshooting' document as well.
 
Back
Top