Unable to download the installation package of Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JHB, May 30, 2011.

1. JHB

JHB Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I'm sure it was asked before but can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I have a message saying that Parallels Tools are outdated but when i try to update Parallels Tools it tells me : "Unable to download the installation package". Is there a download page where I could find the latest installation package for only Tools and not the whole software? I tried reinstalling everything but it didn't change a thing. I'm running the latest version of Parallels Desktop (Build 6.0.11994)

Thank You for your help, I've been looking for long time.

2. JuliaU

JuliaU Member

Hi JHB,

Actually installation package of Parallels Tools is shiped with Parallels Desktop itself, so there is no need to download it additionally. The package located in /Library/Parallels/Tools, simply choose the one you need according to the type of operating system you have.

To connect the installation image manually you can go to Parallels Desktop dropdown menu -> Devices -> CD/DVD 1 -> Connect image and choose Parallels Tools. Start the update manually from the operating system in case it have not started automatically.

Another possible way is to copy the image directly into your operating system and install it from there.

Hope it helps.

3. Leslie Carter

Leslie Carter Bit poster

What if you don't have the CD for Version 6?

I have a CD for Parallels for Mac version 5, but not for my current version, version 6, because I downloaded that version. How do I install Parallels Tools without a CD?

4. JuliaU

JuliaU Member

Hi LeslieInNC,

There is no need for an actual CD, Parallels Tools images are shipped inside of Parallels Desktop .dmg bundle. Hmm, I believe I specified it already in my reply above...

Well, anyway if automatic installation does not start (from Parallels Desktop dropdown menu -> Virtual machine -> Install Parallels Tools) then to connect the installation image manually you need to go to Parallels Desktop dropdown menu -> Devices -> CD/DVD 1 -> Connect image and choose Parallels Tools image from /Library/Parallels/Tools (simply choose the one you need according to the type of operating system you have).

I believe info here will be useful for you as well:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22507.htm

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22575.htm

Hope it helps.