Unable to finish install of Parallels tools Ubunto 10.04

EricT

Bit poster
I'm installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. That went fine.
Tried to install Tools and it errors out. Any help would be appreciated.

I remember trying to install Ubuntu using Parallels for OSX and had the same problem. The tools would never install. I finally gave up and used VMware. I am hoping to make Parallels for Windows work though. That is a very frustrating piece left out of Parallels. Parallels is a product one pays for. VMware Player is free but the tools and everything just work great with Ubuntu. Parallels needs to get the VM Tools install working by a simple double click as does VMware. I am a fan of Parallels for everything except Linux because of this issue. Please help me make this work.
Thanks!

Since these posts cannot be longer than 1000 words, I have to post the log in a response to this one.
 
Host or Guest?

It sounds to me like you are trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 as a Guest OS, not Parallels onto Ubuntu 10.04 as the Host OS, correct? If so, perhaps ask in the Linux Guest group. This group is for installing Parallels on Linux as the Host OS.
 
It sounds to me like you are trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 as a Guest OS, not Parallels onto Ubuntu 10.04 as the Host OS, correct? If so, perhaps ask in the Linux Guest group. This group is for installing Parallels on Linux as the Host OS.

Parallels 5 for Mac will install Ubuntu 10.04 as guest but cannot install Parallels Tools.

Parallels 4 for Windows and Linux will not install with Ubuntu 10.04 as host.

The reason is simple - Parallels has not yet caught up with Ubuntu 10.04. Look at their supported OS list - you won't find Ubuntu 10.04 in the list.

You can install Parallels Tools with Ubuntu 9.10 as guest and you can install Parallels 4 For Windows and Linux with Ubuntu 9.10 as host.
 
I am wrong on one count: Parallels Tools in Parallels 5 for Mac will install with Ubuntu 10.04 as guest.
I have not been able to install Parallels Tools for Windows and Linux with Ubuntu 10.04 as host. Parallels Tech Support has worked with me on this to the point they backed off and said they do not support 10.04.
 
Back
Top