Unable to go into full screen mode after Parallels upgrade - how to fix it

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by martin@lerchdesign.com, Aug 21, 2015.

?

Did this help you and fix your issue?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. martin@lerchdesign.com

martin@lerchdesign.com Junior Member

So this has happened to me before and unfortunately I misplaced the notes on how I fixed it back then. Anyway, here is what happened to me. I upgraded from Parallels v. 10 to 11. I already had a Windows 10 virtual machine set up and running under Parallels 10, and it was working great.

Anyway, after the Parallels upgrade I launched Windows 10 virtual machine and did the Parallels Tools upgrade. After that I was no longer able to go into full screen mode. It would appear that it go in to full screen, but then it would blip and it would snap back into windowed mode. So after uninstalling and reinstalling parallels tools, and restarting the machine it still behaved the same way. No full screen!

Then I did the following:
    1. With the VM open I clicked on the Gear icon top left of the window tool bar. This opens the Settings window for the VM, and then I selected the Options tab.
    2. Select Options tab
    3. Uncheck "Use OS X Full Screen"
    4. Now try to go into full screen mode - This time it worked. I was in full screen, but I had to use the hot corners to go back out of full screen
    5. Then go back to Settings - Options tab -> Full Screen and recheck the box "Use OS X Full Screen".
    6. Now close the Settings window. It should work now. Try to go to full screen mode and you should be back in business.

I am not sure if this only affects me or others, but I thought I better publish this here in case someone else has this problem after upgrade.

Thanks,

Martin

MartinC3 likes this.
  2. MartinC3

MartinC3 Bit poster

Thanks, very helpful. After turning off the "Use OS X Full Screen" option I am able to go into Full Screen and use the VM, however, when I recheck the option and try again it doesn't work, which is a shame. I can put up with it at the moment, but this seems like a pretty annoying bug that needs to be sorted.

Martin

3. PaulC4

PaulC4 Bit poster

Full screen simply does not work as it did in Parallels 10. I suspect there is something wrong with Parallels tools. Before I switched to P11, the window would go full screen on whatever monitor the window was on. It worked this way with both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. After the switch to P11, when you click on the full screen control button or if you choose the Full screen option from the View menu, the window jumps to the main display (laptop in my case) and pretty much hoses up all Mac window controls. Definite bug, and no amount of option changing is going to fix it. Parallels coders, please unfix whatever you fixed in parallels tools.

4. Hi all, could you please provide us with the problem report and step-by-step instructions in order to reproduce it on our side.
    Please generate the report using this KB and reply us back with the report ID number.

5. MartinC3

MartinC3 Bit poster

I did provide the problem report and had one of your support guys remotely login to my Mac to try to fix it. Using a variety of setting changes he managed to get it to work for a while, but it no longer does, however I configure the Use OS X Full Screen option. I really think there is something wrong and I'll do another report.
    To be clear, if you click on the Restore Defaults button & then try to go into Full Screen it does not work, this is surely not right.