Unable to login to Ubuntu 16.04

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by whereswally, Jul 22, 2018.

1. whereswally

whereswally Bit poster

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and no amount of googling seems to be helping me get around this issue. I have only just installed Ubuntu 16.04 on Parallels, installed Parallels tools to get coherence working, ran the system update on ubuntu and did the reboot. Now I am unable to login to my account. Every time I enter the password it appears to load, only to redirect back to the same screen. I am using a rMBP 2013 13in on macOS High Sierra if it makes a difference. I should also mention that I've encountered the issue 3 times. Each time I've just deleted the VM and reinstalled Ubuntu fresh and I'm still hitting the same problem. Is it user error? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ChrisT11

ChrisT11 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue right after I upgraded to Desktop 14 for Mac Pro this week (from ver 13). VM is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I tried disabling the automatic parallels tools installation, but that had no effect. Ubuntu is throwing a really quick message before it redirects back to the login screen that says 'System program problem detected'. It goes by so fast I had to do a screen recording to capture it. I am using correct password, as when I try entering the wrong one, I get the appropriate message. Please help. This only started after upgrading the v14 Mac Pro version.

3. ChrisT11

ChrisT11 Bit poster

I guess I fixed this problem. In the VM settings, Advanced, I disabled 3D graphics acceleration. I was then able to get to the Ubuntu desktop after login, instead of being redirected to the login screen again. Then I installed parallels tools. Things seems back to normal now with 3D graphics acceleration on. It was clearly something to do with the upgrade to Desktop 14 Mac Pro, as the crash logs on Ubuntu said the time/date of the 'System program problem detected' was the first boot right after I upgraded a few days ago. Figures. I usually don't do the major upgrades as soon as they are released, before the bugs are worked out... guess I broke my own rule. It was working just fine the day before that.

4. JoshM7

JoshM7 Bit poster

I ran into the same problem on my upgrade to 16.04 from 15.10. I recalled that during the upgrade, there was a prompt regarding UEFI Secure Boot options. I checked my BIOS settings and sure enough, Discord Secure Boot was set to "Windows Only". Adobe Reader I selected "Other OS" from the list (your options may be different) and booted normally. All fixed iTunes.

Have not seen any other mentions of this fix so hopefully this will help.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. NatarajD

NatarajD Bit poster

Just had to disable 3D Graphics, login, shutdown, re-enable 3D Graphics, log back in. Worked great. Thanks!!

RobG8 likes this.