Unable to specify Application to Open on Mac, Parallels 10.0

Airbusky2

Bit poster
Just upgraded Parallels for Mac to version 10 from 9. Using Windows XP virtual Machine and the latest version of Mavericks.

Before Upgrading I was able to designate Text Edit to open files I frequently use from the virtual machine. Right clicking the file would show Open on Mac as an option. After upgrading I now only have an Open option. When I try to designate an "always open with" application the checkbox is grayed out and not selectable.

What changed? is this a Windows settings issue or a Parallels issue?
 
1. Save a single file of desired file type on the Mac side
2. Right-click on this file > Get Info
3. Choose TextEdit in "Open With" field and hit "Change All"
 
Does not work.

1. Save a single file of desired file type on the Mac side
2. Right-click on this file > Get Info
3. Choose TextEdit in "Open With" field and hit "Change All"

Thanks Andrew, tried your suggestion but no help. These text files are generated from a windows application that we use for work. I have no control of the file format. they are printed with a generic/text printer to a file.

If I look at the properties of the file in Windows it just says "File" with no type listed. I can choose notepad in windows or text edit on the mac and they will open. I just cannot get a default setup to always open these files with Text Edit. I can modify the file on the Mac side by adding the .txt extension in get info and all works fine. One time only. doing this with every file is just too laborious.
 
Worked out a solution for now. When I print the file I must add a .txt to the file name. It's not how it worked in Parallels 9 but it will do. I can now designate Text Edit to always open these files. A lot of this is due to my lack of familiarity with the Windows file system.

Thanks for your help Andrew
 
Back
Top