Unable to start Virtual machine because.....

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DwightG, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DwightG

DwightG Junior Member

....... one or more kernel components are for another version of Parallels Desktop.

Ok, to start. I have been to this page and followed instructions.
    Then tried to re-install PD8 a number of times. No dice.

Support haven't been back to me yet. Has anybody had repeated failures?

PD7 when installed however, functions perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. YanaYana

YanaYana

3. DwightG

DwightG Junior Member

Thanks for your help here. Tell you what worked in the end, (after about 1-15 install/uninstalls);

Dragged PD8 to trash.
    Reinstalled 7.
    Reinstalled 8 straight over the top.

Funny this is as per the instructions on the page I first visited. Don't know why it worked this time and not others. I DID NOT use the PD7 uninstaller.

The confusing thing is that it's easily assumed that you must use the uninstaller first because it's included because of the message about remnants of the previous system.

Tks anyway.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thanks for letting us know, glad you managed to solve it

5. rschletty

rschletty Bit poster

I am very upset about getting the same error message which sent me to tech note 114695 to execute a long list of Terminal commands to flush out remnants of Parallels 7. I had Parallels 8 running just fine and had rebooted my MBP 17 several times. This should not have happened.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. DeanInSavannah

DeanInSavannah Bit poster

Hello, I arrived at the office this morning (Dec 26, 2013), my Parallels would not launch. I got a very brief screen that I managed to screenshot. It said " Unable to start the virtual machine because one or more kernel components are for another version of Parallels Desktop. Screen shot 2013-12-26 at 8.57.31 AM.png . I am running Mavericks and Parallels 9. When I left the office last I started a parallels update and when I returned it would not launch. I ran disk utility and restarted the Mac then when I started Parallels it worked! I hope this helps!

7. SalliJ

SalliJ Bit poster

I wish that worked for me. I cannot get my PVM to work at all. It had shut down problem on 12/29, on 12/30 it would not start, and today, i have a hot mess. Cant find tools, and sure do not have any windows program access.